Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Gunshots? When?

Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Gunshots? When?

I just purchased a beautiful yellow lab. She is going on 10 wks old. I am going to train her for waterfowl and was curious on when I should introduce her to gunshots? Any suggestions? I have tried looking through google, but haven't found much.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gunshots? When?

Many breeders expose puppies to gun noise while they are only a couple or three weeks old.
If this was not done with your pup, then click here http://www.coonriverkennels.com/pages/tips.asp

What training program are you going to follow in training your new buddy?

Old 09-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

I am not sure yet. You recommend any, or any dvds?

Old 09-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you've never trained a Retriever, I'd suggest the "10 Minute Retriever", by John & Amy Dahl. If you're more experienced, then the "SmartWork" series of books and DVD's, by Evan Grahamare 100% unbeatable.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks a lot. I have been working on the basic commands (sit, stay, come) and she picks up very quickly. I have been gradually introducing her to the water. Hopefully with this book, I can train me a lean mean hunting machine!!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

the pup I have now we shot .22's around when they were a couple weeks (opposite side of the yard from the pups) Then we took him to the gun range this past weekend and he was fine around shotguns, flintlocks, and my SKS (7.62x39 with a short barrel) I'd say early exposure is very effective. just don't overdo it
Old 09-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever you do, make the pup associate gunshiot with good thiongs, like food. I started by going out of the room, & popping a paper bag while Zoomie was eating. I gradually got closer each time, always while he was eating. Then I moved up to mthe .22 blanks following the same process. Eventually, we went to the trap range. My wife dropped us off about 1/2 mile away... She got our gear set up while we walked over. By the time we reached my wife & kids, they were already shooting. We walked up as casual as can be & he was very happy & excited to be there with all the guns going off.

The most important thing is to
a) don't nake a big deal of it to the dog &
b) make it a positive experience for the dog.

IMO, you can't start this training too soon.