Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lab with some issues

Old 03-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lab with some issues

Hopefully some of you guys have heard of this. My 5 year old yellow lab is a great birddog (would anybody say their dog isn't great?), and is great around the house when we are around. The only problem is when we leave we put him in a plastic type travel crate. When he is in the kennel and we're gone he slobbers the whole kennel up. I'm talking un-godly amounts of slobber he is all slimed up and is eating on the kennel around the door. When I talked to the vet about it she just recommended a tv or radio to trick him into thinking we are home. We just moved into our house in January and as soon as the frost goes out so I can get one built I will have him outside when were gone. Does anybody have any ideas for the next couple weeks?
Old 03-23-2008, 04:35 PM

Default RE: Lab with some issues

Get a Kong toy, smear peanut butter inside the cavity and put a small dog biskut in thar. It should keep his attention for a while.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:45 AM

i had one did the same thing no slobber but he ate right through a (strong built steel kennel)an tore the door off . i built a outside heavy gauage cattle pannel kennel an he did the same thing to it. You got to get this under control or he may do it outside to i had to learn the hard way

start off by kenneling him while you are at home on an off so he will get use to it. as EODLT said give him some toys some of the other guys will have some good tips to good luck !

Old 03-24-2008, 03:39 PM

Whenever I leave the house my lab goes into his plastic crate sitting in front of the TV on CMT....LOL Hasnt tore anything up yet.... Funny thing is when we're at home he sits on the sofa with us and watches TV now...

Good luck !!!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:27 PM

Who doesnt want to watch that Carrie Underwood?? God help me, Im old enough to be her father...