Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Is it possible?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:48 PM

Default Is it possible?

We have a 4 year old Black Lab mix we rescued from the humane society as a puppy. We recently have become interested in Pheasant hunting and were thinking about training him to be our pheasant dog. He loves to chase and tree squirrels in the backyard, in fact the minute we say the word squirrel he runs to the back door and runs right outside and he finds the squirrel and trees it.

We took him with us dove hunting one time to get him use to the sound of the gun. He was scared for the first 20 or so shots but seemed to get over it. Is it possible to still train him to be a pheasant dog at the age of 4? We don't have the money to buy a pure breed puppy or support another dog so thats out of the question.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is it possible?

Kind of a harsh way to introduce the gun but yeah you can train it if all you want to do is pheasant hunting. It's not ideal to go wild birds initially as your dog is probably going to start chasing way out of gun range. OB first, then ecollar condition, then try the dog out at a game farm so the dog will know what's it hunting for. Plus, you get a chance at letting the dog make all the connections.

If you want to waterfowl, then get a book/program like Dahl, Lamb, Lardy, etc. There are others out there much more experienced with labs then me.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Mite

Kind of a harsh way to introduce the gun but yeah you can train it if all you want to do is pheasant hunting. It's not ideal to go wild birds initially as your dog is probably going to start chasing way out of gun range. OB first, then ecollar condition, then try the dog out at a game farm so the dog will know what's it hunting for. Plus, you get a chance at letting the dog make all the connections.

If you want to waterfowl, then get a book/program like Dahl, Lamb, Lardy, etc. There are others out there much more experienced with labs then me.
Well we weren't expecting him him to flush or anything, we wanted to see if he enjoyed walking the fields with us and he loved it. He wanted to go with us real bad whenever we'd leave so we took him with us. We didn't fire right near him or anything, we were about 40 yards away shooting some trap. As he got more use to it, we got closer to him.

He loves water but i highly doubt we will use him for waterfowl. We aren't waterfowl hunters yet. Thanks for the advice
Old 02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I would expose him to a few birds just to see what the dog does. This can be done at any game farm. Talk to the owner of the farm and they may ven palnt a few for ya free as you are not shooting them. And then that way you know exactly where the bird is. That is what I recommend. If the dog shows good interest the rest is easy.

And sorry - I don't agree with the e-collar comment at all.

A check cord - long piece of rope with a clasp is far better to start with. Let the dog grag that.

JW
Old 02-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I won't get in to the details of dog training, but I will say that without a doubt the smartest, most human in-tune dog I have ever seen was a lab/sheppard mix. Take that for what it is. I suspect that if the dog has an interest, he would at least be worth the effort of a walk around in the field. If you can keep him close I suspect he would flush birds for you, and certainly aid in finding down birds... perhaps he may not retrieve them... but the tail will tell you when he is standing over one!

Good luck.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:37 AM
Typical Buck

And sorry - I don't agree with the e-collar comment at all.
To each his own.Some people can't do without them and some don't care for them. But the check chord is alsorecommended for training..
Old 02-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just train the 4 year old dog exactly as you would train a puppy.
Get on a good training program and follow it page by page, chapter by chapter.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, training a dog for upland is not that hard verses skills needed for waterfowl. But, man GET SOME TRAINING MATERIAL! The way and distance (40 yd) you introduced your dog to gun fire is a good way to to make a dog gun-shy.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with what others are saying about a good training book as well as a few videos that can show you the ropes. It will take some time but your dog should come out good for you..
Old 03-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doc E

Just train the 4 year old dog exactly as you would train a puppy.
Get on a good training program and follow it page by page, chapter by chapter.

Great piece of advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.