Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

what are beagles good for?

Old 02-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what are beagles good for?

ORIGINAL: EODLT

Hmm, if you even have to ask what they are good for, Im not sure you should be getting one..... [&:]

Is this a serious question?

If it is, how could you possibly be thinking about getting a beagle when you dont know what they are for?
I'd have to agree. If that's the case, get a lab that will be your best friend and not want to run off and hunt like a beagle.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 PM

My buddy just bought a puppy from a guy that had very good luck using them to hunt coons!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:11 PM

Would they be good for anything else besides hounding, i.e. bird hunting? Also, because they are hounds are they prone to bay. I heard somewhere they were good hounds to get if you dont have a lot of land because they are not as prone to be loud as other kinds of hounds. Is this true?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

They are loud and love to bark.Most hunt,you just to her to hunt for you and not herself.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nc1234

Would they be good for anything else besides hounding, i.e. bird hunting? Also, because they are hounds are they prone to bay. I heard somewhere they were good hounds to get if you dont have a lot of land because they are not as prone to be loud as other kinds of hounds. Is this true?
All depends on how you raise them. Some lines are a little more highstrung and tend to bark more than others. I have a kennel full of 11 beagles and they're quiet as a mouse (unless a rabbit, deer, or fox walks in front of their kennel)! My neighbors always tell me they're shocked at how they rarely hear the dogs bark, but I rotate 1 bark collar around and am VERY strict when it comes to barking.

P.S.- from what I've seen and heard, this isn't the norm though.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

q
Old 03-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

They are good for winning dog shows apparently.

Beagles are hounds, and hounds chase just like goldens retreive and setters point. Its instinct. They make fantastic rabbit dogs, and are my personal choice in a deer dog as I am not a fan of long legged dogs for deer hunting, espeically as of late, but that is southern politics.

They are incredibly stubborn (most of them) to train. Which is why they make good chase dogs. All you need to do is teach them to come to your call when you want them to come to you, at least thats a start. Much more to it than that.

Best advice I can say is give it a try. As a pet they are cute, and often very very sweet, but they are very hard headed.
I love to hear them running a deer too, although i only own walkers and blueticks for deerhunting. They will make some noise too coming through the swamps!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Im looking @ beagles also. My friend has a bluetick beagle, beautiful dog. I did not know they treed coons, i guess it just makes sense tho
Old 03-19-2008, 07:37 AM

My dad had a beagle when I was a kid. We used him for rabbitt hunting but he wasn't above chasing a stray squirrel here and there. Anyone else ever have that happen?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:47 PM

yep ours does it all the time and trees coons

Quick Reply: what are beagles good for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.