Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dog Food question

Old 01-16-2008, 09:46 PM

Default RE: Dog Food question

I feed my Labs PMI.
21% Protein
8% Crude fat
They work most days out of the year and are in great shape.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:11 AM

I started out with a Pit a couple years ago. According to my vet he had an allergy to corn products in his food. I stopped feeding him Iams and switched to Diamond Lamb and rice as per my vet's recommendation. He did really well with that. Had to get rid of him because of dog aggression and current living arrangements. I now have a treeing feist and feed her the same Diamond Lamb and rice. When compared to other foods with similar ingredients it has the best price.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:21 PM

So as far as ingredients do i want like chicken meal or just chicken and what is the difference? Would i want to go with a hollistic dog food over the normal type of dog food that is non-hollistic? or is hollistic better?
Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 AM
Typical Buck

Chicken meal is dehydrated chicken parts, namely the choice cuts and skin w/o feathers. Undehydrated chicken is mostly moisture. It is recommended that if you do not feed chicken meal then feed them canned or fresh chicken. You can look at this website written by an animal nutritionist (credentials on site): http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=betterproducts
Old 01-18-2008, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

We used to feed our dogs Canidae and really liked it. Unfortunately, it became too difficult to get and we had to switch. We now feed Royal Canin and have for at least 5 years. It's always a top rated food and all our dogs like it. We also recommend it to the people who buy puppies from us. What we (and other breeders we know) have always told people is that, as a rule of thumb, if you can buy a food in a regular grocery store, it's usually not a very good food.

About Science Diet. I would NEVER recommend it, nor would any breeder I know. And it's always at the bottom of every single list of dog food ratings. BTW, the link to the list RIStrutStopper posted about is a very good one; I have had that bookmarked for quite some time. That list also pretty much follows what the Whole Dog Journal list has said for a lot of years.

Bruce
Old 01-18-2008, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Diamond Lamb & Rice 3/4 cup in morning, 3/4 cup at night. I have a 38lb. Brittany and she has been doing great on it for five of the six years of her life.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

I like the Nutri Source products. Good ingredients and good price. I use the Performance or the Super Performance for my dogs depending on what they look like.

Good luck
Old 01-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I still like Eaglepack and have been very happy with it, here is an item of interest regarding dog health issue in dog foods. Also a recommendation on some of the allergies dogs and cats get from some pet foods. www.eaglepack.com/Pages/EP_PetHealth.html

Would i want to go with a hollistic dog food over the normal type of dog food that is non-hollistic? or is hollistic better?
The link above will explain this question, on another note I may be wrong here but wasn't Diamondf dog foods on the recall from having chemicals from China that were making pets sick?

My dog likes IAM'S dog food.

The rule of thumb is - the more it costs, the better it is.

Eukanuba dog food is also very good.
When I find out that makers of pet foods donate money to PETA I refuse to purchase regardless of whether or not it is a good pet food..I enjoy my hunting and other outdoor sports to much to have my money going against it.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

When I find out that makers of pet foods donate money to PETA I refuse to purchase regardless of whether or not it is a good pet food..I enjoy my hunting and other outdoor sprots to much to have my money going against it.
Phil,

When did Eukanuba/Iams donate money to PETA? I've heard about their anti-hunting campaign along with the HSUS, but never a PETA donation.

I have also heard that Eukanuba may be up for sale. P&G apparently is looking to offload it, but wants to keep the Iams division.

By the way, which Eagle Pack formula to you feed your setters?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:59 PM

i have a couple of dogs (huntinghounds) and we feed them buddy boy and it goes around $12 a bag

Quick Reply: Dog Food question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.