Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Good tracking/family dog

Old 12-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Spike

Default Good tracking/family dog

I'm looking for a dog that would be good at tracking downed deer. It would also have to be good around other animals and children.

I have 2 dogs, a cat and two children (5 and 6).

I would need something fairly low maintenance, I am not able to be very active, I have a bad heart and both knees are messed pretty bad.

I've been thinking a beagle. What other good choices would there be?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:51 PM

Default RE: Good tracking/family dog

A lot of people use a wirehaired dacshund.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:56 PM

A german Shorthaired Pointer would be a great choice IF, you can find a way to get it the exercise it needs. Short coat, low maintenance, but high energy that needs lots of exercise. Great family pets as well. I am sure there are better choices, but just another to consider.

good luck.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a Wire Haired Dachshund for tracking and he adores children. Great breed.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:56 PM

Beagles can really run. I think you will do fine if you stay away from a spaniel. I like the spaniel, but I think they are harder to control. I think you may do well to find an adult dog that has already been house trained because of your heart. If you want him to track deer I don't think that would be to hard to train for. www.petfinder.com. You can find some good adult dogs there. I was going to get my dog there, but the unusual breed I wanted was not there. Make your own choice in the end, but thats my idea. It worked really well for my parents. My dad says he has the best dog he ever had. My brother did the same thing.