Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Best Value in Tracking Collars

Old 01-15-2003, 11:47 AM

Default Best Value in Tracking Collars

Hey everyone,

I lost my 8 mo. old beagle pup on the hunt yesterday and don't know if I'll get her back or even if she's still alive...which is exactly the Boot in the behind I need to spend the $ on a tracking collar. I'll spend what it takes, but don't want to break the bank either. Is it unreasonable to thin I can get 2 collars and a reciever for $400 max?? What brand and model have you had luck with and pro's and cons?? Thanks in advance.

Trushot }}------>
Old 01-15-2003, 01:35 PM

Default RE: Best Value in Tracking Collars

Trushot,

I run dogs on deer and in fox and coyote pens. I too bought my first tracker this past year. I bought the Innotek RD-300. Even though the tracker works well...if I would have known then what I do now...I wouldn't have bought it.

Problem #1...Anyone can take the battery out of the collar...Once the battery is out...that is it.

Problem #2...With a brand new battery in...the collar will last 8 days and usually not a full eight days. When you run on the outside...your hound may be gone for three weeks or more depending on if there is some type of feed out there.

My suggestion is a Quick Track unit and collars... The collars will last for two years if you leave them on cont. and they work pretty well.

You usually can find some second hand units and collars on the classified sections of the fox hound sites and the coon hunter sites.

speeddogs.net
trak.to/foxhuntingLA
foxhoundcentral.com
Old 01-15-2003, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't think up any type of good tracking collar right now but hope you find your dog again, keep in contact on here and let us know if you find the pup or not.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Live to hunt, hunt to live, be the eyes of the hawk <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 01-15-2003, 05:30 PM

Stone;who carries the quick track,and how much for the unit,and per collar??

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:55 PM

In my opinion the best collars are the Quick Trak-but the best overall reciever is put out by Wildlife Materials. They have a few different recievers that can pick up from 3 dogs to 400. I have the TRX 1000 that will hold up to 200 collars, which is good for someone who has a lot of dogs & comes in great for helping a buddy out with his. I think all the collars work with most recievers as long as it's the right frequency. I also have a Johnson RB 10 which will hold 24 collars & picks up almost as good as the Wildlife. I might be willing to part with the Johnson system for about $700 (box & 4 collars). I have a friend who might be getting it but if he can't come up with the $$ then he'll just have to get over it.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the info guys, Guess I better start saving! I only have 1 dog now as my other hasn't turned up, so I'm not sure what to do. I'm not a big beagle kennel or anything, just a guy and a dog! But My hound(s) are indoor dogs and we get very close.I WON&quot;T lose another dog though...I feel terrible!I actually HOPE somebody swiped her as the thought of her Freezing to death(Michigan) or Coyotes is a stake in my heart. I'll save through the summer and look into it again in the fall. Thanks again.

Trushot }}------>