Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

questions

Old 01-12-2003, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default questions

I was looking into getting a beagle for rabbit hunting but I dont know anything about how to train a hunting dog. I was thinking yall could help me and point me in the right direction. Ifn yall could post a website or something it would be greatly appricieated(sp). I dont know anything about hunting dogs. I want to read up on beagles and rabbit huntin with dogs. Please point me to some literature if you could.
Thanks

&quot;A Country Boy Can Survive&quot; </IMG>
Old 01-12-2003, 05:40 PM

Default RE: questions

I don't know of any books,I do know they are out there,just don't know the titles.

the best thing is,if you know someone that hunts with beagles. see if you can go with them and take your pup.the pup will learn three time more working with a trained dog than learning on there own.

try this first,and if you don't know anyone,check at the local kennel club,or vets.to see who in your area that does hunt with dogs.

you can kill rabbits and keep them in the freeze and drag them around for the pup to trail on get them started,then go out in the evenings and find a rabbit.the best time is after an afternoon shower of rain.once you have saw the rabbit,take the pup where you last saw the rabbit and put the pup there and let it smell the tracks.it want take long for him to get started.the only problem is he want know what to do when the rabbit dodges.a trained dog will show him whatto do.

good luck in what ever you get to do. &quot;I love my beagles&quot; mine are deer dogs.although I do start them on rabbits.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.

Edited by - tree climber on 01/12/2003 18:42:08
Old 01-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Spike

Some good advice from Tree Climber.I'm into birddogs myself,But did start a beagle for a buddy and thats exactly what I did.Drag a shot bunny along the ground to get it started tracking,and more experience with a older dog who knows bunnies is a good start.

I dont know any titles of books either.Have you tried using the search engine on your PC? That may get you pointed in the right direction.Good Luck take care,Jackson..
Old 01-13-2003, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the advise

&quot;A Country Boy Can Survive&quot; </IMG>