Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Labs

Old 01-02-2002, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Labs

Hello everyone, im ust got my first dog. She's a black lab named Cooper.

I would like to train her for waterfowl and pheasants. could someone get me pointed in the right direction as were to start with training and what age to start training?
thanks a bunch
Old 01-04-2002, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Labs

Congratulations on the new dog. I've got a 9 month old Chocolate Lab named Winston.
You should get Richard Wolters book "Water Dog". He goes through everything from when to start through to doing blind retreives. I think he also has a book for upland training as well. You should be able to find them at most any good book store.
I've been using "Water Dog" and have found it really helpful.
Good Luck and be patient!

Edited by - cyrus on 01/04/2002 15:13:42
Old 01-04-2002, 04:25 PM
Spike

I agree with Cyrus. I bought Water Dog a few months ago and I'm very pleased with it. I think it helps if you read the book a few times before you start the training. That way you know what's coming up and what you need to do. Of course I'm learning as I go.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:43 AM

Training starts as a puppy. Teaching them thier name, not to soil the carpet and "No" are all things that are part of the process of making a good hunting dog.
Even though it's primarily a pointer book, I highly recomend Best Way To Train Your Bird Dog The Delmar Smith Method. The man has insights for training dogs that would help for any type of training.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:00 PM

Short Hair is correct, Puppies are usually very quick studies. I have seen puppies at the facility where my LAB trained that were advanced for thier very young age. But unless you run the facility, like the owners of the puppies, I belive the first steps to happy dog ownership starts with the very basics.
Sit, Here and Heal.
Sit and Stay are the same thing. You dont want to many voice commands. As long as he plops his butt down when i tell him to and doesnt move, i dont care if he doesnt lay down.
In fact, I dont want him to laydown on the job.

6 Months is a good age to really start "Puppy Boot Camp"

Good Luck, and good sporting.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:41 PM
Sig

You must be your dogs best friend. It is like raising a child , firm but loving. If you want a well trained dog plan on putting in the hours.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:20 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-11-2002, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

all advice above is very good the only thing i could add is while working with your pup work until he starts to lose intrest in the task at hand then stop don't try to make him work more like sig said it's like a child and there attention span may be short at first so take small gains as they come with basic training and as the dog grows so will the attention span and longer training sessions good luck and make sure the little guy enjoys his work remember it's not work it's play at first
Old 02-09-2002, 06:42 PM
Spike

IMHO I would forget such training books as 'water dog' and instead go to totalretriever.com and for $29 get vol I "training with Mike Lardy". I used 'Water Dog' with my first two dogs and it is very limiting in how far you can proceed in training your dog. If you have ever worked with dogs that have been trained using the step by step method of sequential training demonstrated by Mike Lardy I am sure that you would develop similar feelings. There are a few good ideas in 'WD'but it is not complete by any means. It enables you to prepare a dog for hunt tests, hunting and field trials.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:24 AM

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!

First of all Congrats on your selection! Labradors Retrievers are one of the most sought after retrieving/flushing birddogs available. They have a very high appeal to people because of their "smooth temperaments, ease to trainability, and love towards their master(you). You MUST show the dog your utmost patience! That means DO NOT expect miracles! DO start your training ASAP! NEVER TOO YOUNG to begin retrieving, sitting(pick a side) usually AWAY from the side you shoot from. Shoot right handed-dog comes and sits with retrieve on your left.

The NUMBER 1 TACTIC WHEN TRAINING A NEW PUP IS: DO NOT INTODUCE THE DOG TO A GUN "REPORT"(fire) CLOSE-IN!!!! Take the dog to a organized trap shoot somewhere. Someplace you can VERY SLOWLY bring the dog in closer and closer to the gunfire. BUT, Start AT LEAST 100 yards away!!! Walk with the dog closer and closer to the "gunning area" so as to allow the dog its 1st "listening" of gunshots. Also, in and around the dog at home, but never behind its back, start the "clapping" loudly introduction with your dog. You DO NOT want to make your Dog GUN-SHY!!! SLOW AND FAR AWAY, INTRODUCTION TO SHOTGUN FIRE/REPORTS IS CRITICAL!!! Because a gun-shy hunting dog
is NOT GOOD!!
Remember.....PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!
Best of Luck Super Mag!

The Lab-Man (Labrador owner/trainer since 1963)

Quick Reply: Labs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.