Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

silent whistle?

Old 08-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Spike

Default silent whistle?

Does anyone use those "silent" dog whistles when upland hunting? Better/ worse than regular whistles? Are they effective out to 150 yards (can the dogs hear it that far)? Thanks, Bob
Old 08-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: silent whistle?

It's only "silent" to us humans. Dogs and birds can hear it.
It ***might*** be good to 150 yards (I doubt it) but if there is some wind, it just ain't going to cut it.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:45 AM
Typical Buck

I prefer the traditional metal whistle. It cuts through the air easily. I love it but everyone elseat the dog parkhates it although whileI sitting there,blowing the whistle for recall, everyone else is yelling and chasing after their dogs. It also works great in the field. It will cut through the sound of wind and the rain and calmer days, you can hear it way out.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:55 AM
Spike

I completely agree with the effectiveness with traditional field whistle use, however I have to admit that I don't care for the sound, especially when hunting. It just doesn't fit with the environment/ atmosphere. I'm considering trying the "silent" whistle or even a hawk call to substitute the traditional whistle while upland hunting ( or dog park). I guess I could keep the regular whistle in case they get out too far.