Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Is my beagle ready for rabbits

Old 12-23-2002, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default Is my beagle ready for rabbits

I have a young beagle pup and was curious as to when I should start her running rabbits, she loves the outdoors. She really gets into running through thick brush when we walk behind my house. Right now she is 3 months old. She is really good about staying within 25 feet of me at all times and has a great interest in scent tracking, how would you start her on rabbits? Thanks for the help!

Old 12-23-2002, 02:31 PM

Default RE: Is my beagle ready for rabbits

now is the time to start.go out in the evening especially after a rain.if you see one put him on it.a beagle will run at three mo. old.they are never to youbg to start.
go for it.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:15 AM

Start them as soon as they're weaned off mom good. I have 2 8 week old walker pups right now that I walk around my fields with at least 4 times per week & let them smell deer tracks & poop etc. Same with a rabbit dog or anything else you plan to hunt.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:45 PM

Start 'em , but don't push. Some dogs bloom later than others. Get some rabbit scent( cabela's sells it for breaking pointers) and lay a trail in the yard. Even before this, I'd hide little pieces of bacon in the yard to get him to see that "using my nose is cool!". Iv'e seen some run at 3-4 mos and others, still good dogs, that never really "got it" untill they were a year old and then one day...Click! They just turned on! Good luck!

Trushot }}------>
Old 01-25-2003, 05:01 AM
Spike

I agree now is the time to start your pup. What are you planning on hunting with her, snowshoes or cottontails. I ask this because all the old timers around here will trap a cottontail to start a pup on as they say they have a lot more scent than a snowshoe. Also give your pup the best chance at driving rabbits and not deer by taking her to an area with little or no deer in it. Good luck and Happy hunting.

LIVE TO HUNT,HUNT TO LIVE.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definetly start walking her in rabbit areas. Dont be to discouraged if she dont take off like lightning, she is young and if its bread in her it will come out with time. Most important things about starting a pup is patience and keeping them in the game.