Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Choices...Choices

Old 05-23-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Choices...Choices

I am considering a new dog. My lab has recently gone on to his reward after 15 years of faithful service. I am considering a new pal and wondering if I should stick with a Lab or try a Springer. I hunt upland in Pennsylvania....meaning Ruffed Grouse, Woodcock, and Pheasant would be my prey.

Any advice?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:09 PM

Default RE: Choices...Choices

If you feel that the lab was a good and faithful dog, then I would stick with that. But if you want to see if another dog can do just as well, then go with the Springer.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Spike

I have always liked Labs, but after hunting behind a few friends Spingers, I now have this to say. I have never seen a flushing dog that is harder working than a Springer. They hunt faster than a lab but they are good. They are not an old man dog I would play H*** keeping up with one.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

If it aint broke. Dont fix it. I would go with a lab!!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Typical Buck

Have you ever hunted behind a pointing dog? For woodcock and grouse the traditional hunting dog is the setter.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:50 PM

You seem like to me to be a lab kind of guy. you should get another one
Old 05-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you like the Lab, and you want a dog that also points, go with a Pointing Labrador.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am considering a new dog. My lab has recently gone on to his reward after 15 years of faithful service.
I had one for 17 years and I had to get somethimng different, I knew deep down that I may think that my next one could be the same as my first. I also knew that it couldn't have been the same for me so I changed my type of dog. Each one of us is different but, if you are happy with the lab stay with it if you wish to.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:39 PM

I have pointing labs and springer. If I could only have one dog I would have to flip a coin both work upland and waterfowl the same.I guide with my dogs and i will say this the springers will hold up better day in and day out than the labs and do not have the health issues.As for keeping up with springers that has to do with training mine will hunt as fast or slow as you want. Good luck
Old 05-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

The Springer From 100% field lines is considered the ultimate flushing dog.A well bred English Cocker is also right there with the Springer. Labs, Chessies, Goldens, etc. can do an adequate job as well, of course, but generally speaking awell trained Springer or English Cocker is the best bet if you want a top caliber flushing dog. That is their speciality....it's what they've been bred to do for generations and generations.

That certainly doesn't mean that you can't shoot birds and have a lot of fun with one of the retrieving breeds.. I've bred both Springers and Chessies for close to 20 years now, and the majority of the people I've hunted with had Labs or Springers.....I've seen a ton of both breeds work. My Chessies do a nice job as an upland flusher also. Equal to my Springers? No, they're not but I have a lot of fun and kill a lot of birds with them. Each dog is different, but generally speaking the Springer will cover absolutely every inch of ground....they go over, under, around, and through anything and everything. They are extremely animated and athletic....just watching them work is an experience in itself. You'll not find a happier, more enthusiastic hunter than a Springer.

Having said all that, go with your gut feelings.....you won't be happy with any breed if it's not what you really, really want in the first place.

Quick Reply: Choices...Choices

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.