Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

coon hunting

Old 05-08-2007, 07:51 AM

Default coon hunting

what kind of dog will be the best for coon season
Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: coon hunting

If you ask any coon hunter including myself he is gonna say the best coon dog is one that trees coon and doesn't hit on junk. Breed don't matter a whole lot I don't think... We run 5 English redticks and a couple red bones and a couple of the english are really good and the one red bone is pretty good too. Walkers make great coon hounds, some run plots, blue ticks, and a couple others. I'd say the most common hounds we see at tournysareredticks, walkers, a few blueticks, couple plots, and some red bones. I think all breeds do a good job and have differneces but I don't know a whole lot about all of them. WCL
Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 PM

It depends on how you want to hunt coons. I use a terrier and flush them out of brush piles and from barns. He's small but gets the job done. Hounds use foot scent, Curs Feists and terriers will air scent more. I don't know this from experience but my friend who had black and tans then went to treeing Walkers and finally is sticking with Stephen's stock curs tells me B&T's use foot scent and cold trail the most, are slow but won't range as far. Walkers range out to find a hot scent they can tree. This can be a problem if the dog trees on someone's land which is posted. My terrier will punch out 200-300 yds and check in (too much for my hound friends). This is what a cur and feist will do but range a bit further. You haveto decide what your goals and aspirations are as each hunting style will put fur on the stretcher.

Doc George
Old 05-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

If you ask any coon hunter including myself he is gonna say the best coon dog is one that trees coon and doesn't hit on junk. Breed don't matter a whole lot I don't think... We run 5 English redticks and a couple red bones and a couple of the english are really good and the one red bone is pretty good too. Walkers make great coon hounds, some run plots, blue ticks, and a couple others. I'd say the most common hounds we see at tournysareredticks, walkers, a few blueticks, couple plots, and some red bones. I think all breeds do a good job and have differneces but I don't know a whole lot about all of them. WCL

well said
Old 05-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

i prefer blueticks out of all the breeds but wingchaser said it right....
Old 05-18-2007, 07:13 PM

There's not alot that's better looking than a fine blanket back Walker hound with almost no ticking...