Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

need some help. any thoughts or ideas??

Old 03-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default need some help. any thoughts or ideas??

my new doggy is 9 weeks old now.. an we take him out to the bathroom. sometimes he goes(an hes rewarded). the the probelm- sometimes he doesnt an were out there for over 20 minutes.. ok he doesnt have to go. then soon as he get inside i mean not 2 min hes goin to the bathroom in the house.. he does get punished for his duty but that doesnt seem to be helpin either.... any suggestions or happen to anyone out there?? thanx
Old 03-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: need some help. any thoughts or ideas??

How are you rewarding?
How are you punishing?
Are you Crate training?

Old 03-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

rewarding him is whe he does business outside he gets a a bone when he comes back inside.. punishing him when he goes inside i show him what he did an slap his nose an put him in his box.(its a travel box for now) ....crate training.. i dont know what that is
Old 03-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Crate training is when you keep your pup in a crate ( travel box/ pet carrier/ or whatever you have to put him in) you take your pup out and put him/her outside to do it's stuff. When you bring him/her in you can let it play around inside if he/her did what it's supposed to do. If not you put your puppy back in the crate. This will give your pup the idea on what is expected. I wouldn't go slapping your pup on the nose as this will not help you very much and make training harder in most cases. Good Luck
Old 03-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

so the pup is suspose to stay in his box all day only when goin out to do his stuff?????

Old 03-05-2007, 01:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont mean for this to sound cruel cause this is not my intentions but do you all think if i got one of them shock collars an lightly zapped him when he was "goin" in the house this would break him? im jus concerened this would scare him of goin at all inside or outside... opinions? i really need to get this proablem resolved...
Old 03-05-2007, 04:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

so the pup is suspose to stay in his box all day only when goin out to do his stuff?????
No not at all, I am saying you can take him outside with you whenever you want, but until your pup gets house broken I would keep him crated. This way your pup will learn that it needs to use the outdoors for the bathroom issues. Once he learns he should be fine inside the house. Myself i wouldn't use a shock collar for this. The best way for as far as I am concerned is using the crate for him and he will learn rather quickly. His best reward is being out of the crate. Good Luck
Old 03-05-2007, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

the lil s*it will pee in his crate 2 sometimes... hes bout half way house broken. sometimes he will go to the door sometimes he will go to the paper sometimes he jus likes to squat.. guess ill have to try this crate training.. the ol lady really hates the thought of puttin her "baby" in the crate but it'll have to be done.... i jus hate to listen to him whine in there.. drives me nuts.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:27 AM

if youre trying to crate train the dog..putting him in the crate when he's done bad isnt a very good idea. When we were training ours i gave her a smack on the butt and showed her what she did and she eventually stopped....but don't expect yours to be housebroken at around 9 weeks it will take a little while
Old 03-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do Not use the crate as punishment ! The crate is his "den" and a place to chill out and relax.
Don't slap his nose -- that's a very easy way to make a dog "hand shy". A stern NO! is all it takes, but the "punishment" must be DURING the "act" --- not even as much as 10 seconds after, or the pup will have no idea what it is ceing corrected for.

The pup should be in the crate whenever it isn't under direct observation/supervision. You will soon learn by constantly watching the pup, when it needs to go outside. When outside, use a command of some type (like "go potty") frequently until the pup does it's thing.

As for a "shock collar" (actually called an ecollar) the answer is NO! NO! NO!. An ecollar must be introduced correctly and certainly not until a pup is 4.5 to 5 months old. An ecollar is used to enforce an already known command, Never use an ecollar until you fully understand their function.
Do you have any kind of training book?

If he pees or poops in the crate, it means one or both of two thngs : 1. You aren't taking him out often enough
and/or
2. The crate is too big..........Dogs don't like to lay in their mess, so use a piece of plywood or something in order to make the crate small enough that the pup only has room to stand up -- move around very little and lie down comfortably.

Get the book/DVD/Tape "Sound Beginnings", bu Jackie Merten ASAP --- You need it big time. To me, it sounds like YOU (and your wife) are the ones with problems, and not the pup.