Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

english setter problem

Old 01-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default english setter problem

My buddys 2yr old female setter just in one day started pukeing and crapping blood everywhere in the kennel. He rushed her to the vet and he said that she has HGC. He couldnt pronounce the word and the vet called it HGC. It is more less a very irritated colon. He also said it was genetic. He bought this gyp from a breeder in texas. Do you guys think that he should call this man and confront him about this? He also did not give a health guarantee.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: english setter problem

I feel he should call him and at least let him know about it. As most good breeders would want to get any genetic problems out of their breeding dogs. Buying without a health guarrantee tells me that your friend should of looked harder. Also most breeders only give a 2 year guarrantee anyways. None the less the breeder should know about it, and perhaps he/she does know and just do not care. Good Luck to your friend.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

Quickly seek a second opinion. Especially from a vet who advocates hunting dogs.

After that, if the diagnosis is the same, contact the breeder and see what he'll do for you.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

As others have said, contact the breeder. The good breeders will want to know if there are genetic problems in lines they are breeding. Even though there is no guarantee, the breeder may offer to do something about price on a new dog if the worst happens. However, if there was no guarantee and especially if the breeder doesn't seem to care, it's probably time to look for a different breeder.

Oh, and one thing about guarantees: Be sure to read the guarantee VERY carefully. There are a couple "breeders" in my breed that offer a 5 year guarantee. It sells dogs, but when you read it with a lawyer's eyes (the breeder does!), you realize it would be nearly impossible to get another dog or your money back.