Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

GSP or Lab?

Old 01-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default GSP or Lab?

Some friends and I were talking about the different types of dogs and we end up talking about mainly GPS and Labs so I thought this would be a better place to get some feedback.Okay here is my situation. I'm hoping to get my own place again later on this year, as well as a dog.I don't like apartments so i'm trying my best to avoid getting that again. I work nights so I would take my dog with me in the car since i'm middle on nowhere. I'm hoping to get a small house or even a mobile home if its cheaper. Because most likely it would be a smaller place, i have toconsider the dog's size as well. (not to mention my car because i drive a 2001 Kia Rio). In terms of hunting wise, it would be mainly dove. We have plenty of quail and pheasant but its darn near impossible to find places out here that isn't on property owned by someone who is either anti-hunting or just doesn't allow hunting period. So in short terms, below is the following

1. Size of place that I get
2. Because i work nights, dog would be with me so considering the size of my car as well (as i mentioned, small car)
3. The type of hunting, which is mainly dove (and eventually duck)
4. I have a two year old son so want a breed that is good with kids

I considered another dogs but i'm not a real big fan of longer haired dogs, and i know labs can get longer hair but not too bad.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:07 PM

Default RE: GSP or Lab?

you could go with the best of both worlds... i have a Gsp/Lab Mix
Old 01-09-2007, 04:19 PM

Let me start by saying I *love* German Shorthairs but after I got my first choc. lab, I think this will be a breed I stick with for the remainder of my life. Well aside from my coonhounds, but heck the labs even run with the hounds and will tree. A younger lab in any size home is gonna be a handful honestly, especially if you have a very well motivated dog from a hunting lineage. My black, Raven is 2.5 years old now and she's the perfect house dog. She's calm stays by my side, never gets into anything...but in puppyhood they can be a nightmare at times. Both will be an energetic dog though as i'm sure you know. usually you can get a good quality lab for less than a gsp too, at least in my area you can, gsp breeders are few and far between. Size wise you are close to the same range. My choc.(english stock) was 57lbs at 8 months, however Raven is an american stock and only 50lbs at her 2.5 year age. My labs love kids to death even when tortured by them. And my choc. is a squirrel dog, duck dog, grouse dog, dove dog, amatuer coon dog, etc. I think they are the most versatile sporting breed available. But my best advice unless you find the traits of one overwhelming, just go look at some pups and when you find the *one* you should just have a feeling about it. Go with what your gut feeling.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:58 PM

If you are looking for a pet buy a pet
If your looking for a hunting dog than buy one
Old 01-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe i misread your post, but if your dog has to stay in your vehicle. Maybe you need to save up enough money to take care of the dog the right way.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Blueditch42

Maybe i misread your post, but if your dog has to stay in your vehicle. Maybe you need to save up enough money to take care of the dog the right way.
lol yeah i think you misread it. I wasn't going to keep it in my car as a regular ''kennel'', just with me when i am at work if need be.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

I usually won't take my dog with me if I know the dog will have to stay in the car more than two hours. There's just not enough room to move around. Better to leave the dog at home. The added benefit is the dog may deter break-in. Buy a baby gate and set the dog in a place with tile or vinyl flooring then lay a blanket in the corner.

Another suggestion is to buy seat covers as the dog will remove any kind of sheets, blankets, etc. that you put down.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

DO NOT transport a dog in a vehicle without that dog being in a crate (it's their airbag/seat belt). I certainly doubt if a crate will fit in your car.
If it were me, I'd wait to get a dog until you can house and transport it appropriately.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with you doc there. Trying to some ideas. Plus if need be as well, my sister wouldn't mind dogsitting. If some reason say i did in fact have to take him with me to work, because i work in the middle of nowhere I could let him run around too (forgot to mention that in original post too)
Old 01-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Geta lab.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.