Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Cool New Anti-Inflammatory

Old 11-15-2006, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cool New Anti-Inflammatory

Any of you see this yet? It's also good for "everyday aches and pains", using it as a preventative before hard hunts or multiple-day hunts.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abs tractPlus&list_uids=14994484&query_hl=18&a mp;tool=pubmed_DocSum

Old 11-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Spike

Default RE: Cool New Anti-Inflammatory

This sounds like a good medicine, do you know anyone who has tried it?

Old 11-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Spike

Also am I correct, AbstractPlus is the name of the medicine?

Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The name of the product is Ayur Boswellia Serrata.
It's so new, I think that I'm the only one I knowwho has tried it.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Spike

Were you impressed with it? Did it work with the first dose? I am interested because a friend of mine hasan old lab with stiff hips, and their vet recommended Ibuprofen. It doesn't seem to help him at all. They are looking for something else, this might be it. The web siteyou posted matches with the dogs symptoms.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trmckinn

Were you impressed with it? Did it work with the first dose? I am interested because a friend of mine hasan old lab with stiff hips, and their vet recommended Ibuprofen. It doesn't seem to help him at all. They are looking for something else, this might be it. The web siteyou posted matches with the dogs symptoms.
I've used it on myself as well as a friend's older dog. It was very impressive.
Ibuporofen can be vary dangerous for canines. I'm totally surprised that a Vet would recommend it.

Check your PM box.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:37 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

The stuff may help but that looks like a very poorly designed study. I would have to read the whole paper but it was not blinded and there were no control animals. Just on that basis it has no scientific validity.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

mez,
It's extremely difficult to get funding for double-blinded research ona non-prescription medication. Many clinical trials are the forerunners to blinded trials. Most all of the top notch research on Boswellia has been on humans, and the clinical studies on canines has very nearly matched the findings as were found with humans.

There can be a lot of problems with "quality" research as well (a lot depends on who is supplying the funding)............A good example is the fiasco of some of the Cox-2 inhibitors (Celebrex - Bextra etc) that have been pulled from the market because they killed thousands of people.
The double-blinded placebo controlled "research" hid a lot of facts.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:06 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Doc, the double blinded research didn't hide the facts, it found them, the powers that be hid the facts. It wasn't the data, it's what was done with it.
It isn't all that hard to get funding for non prescription medication, you just have to be able to write a good grant. That excuse is a facade because it is very easy to get funded for prescription products as the companies that make them fund the projects. You have to got to outside sources with these products and it takes more time and effort but certainly doable.
Most all of the clincal trials with nuetraceuticals show positve results. Most all of the blinded research trials show no effect.
This stuff may work, and I think some of these products do but was just pointing out a fact for those on here that don't know a lot about scientific literature. Just because it is on PubMed doesn't validate it. This was a poorly designed study.