Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

PUPPY INTO HOME WITH ADULT DOG

Old 11-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default PUPPY INTO HOME WITH ADULT DOG

question, if you have adult male dog is it problem to bring in a new puppy?is female or male better in this situation?

i read somewhere that if its female puppy ,you would have to get female spayed down road..they said that is bad..why is it bad to spayed a female hunting dog?

so, is it better with male adult/female puppy or 2 males..thanks
Old 11-17-2006, 11:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: PUPPY INTO HOME WITH ADULT DOG

It depends on the adult dog you already have. Dogs are territorial animals. You will be bringing the new pup home and into your adult dogs territory. With some dogs it's not a problem, others will fight like hell to protect thier territory. You have to figure this one out based on how well you know your dog. Another thing you should be aware of is that your adult might be jealous of the new pup. If so, then he may get aggressive towards the pup and the pup could get hurt. As far as the sex of either dog is concerned, I doubt that it will be much of a factor. As far as getting the dog neutered, Get it done as soon as the vet reccommends it be done. Unlessone is a professional breeder he has no buisness breeding. Too many dogs are the result of indiscriminate breeding leading to health problems as well as temperment problems. There are many dogs in this country that need to be adopted because they were accidents and nobody wants them. Alot of this would be avoided if breeding were left to the individuals who breed professionally.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

i just read article that dogs should not be spayed/nuetered until they are 14 months old..i did ours at 1 year..

they said they are NOW finding out that dogs are getting cancer, hip problems,thyroid problems from doing this under 6 months..

they said 14 months is fine but no sooner..

some vets will say that is wrong and some say no.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

DO NOT allow a new pup to spend very much time with another dog. Dogs will bond to dogs much easier than they bond to humans.....................You want a dog/human bond with your new pup, not a dog/dog bond.