Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

dog for pheasant ?

Old 11-17-2002, 07:39 PM

Default dog for pheasant ?

Hi,I need an advice on what is the good dog for pheasant hunting?
The dog i am looking for should not be a larg type of dog also it should be able to live out in a dog house all seasons.
by the way i live in the pittsburgh PA. area.

TOONS
SAFTY IS #1
Old 11-17-2002, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: dog for pheasant ?

For hunting pheasants, it is awful hard to beat a springer spaniel. Springers need people, though, so you may want to consider something else if it will be kept outside at all times.

For pointing dogs, you may be better off with one of the Continental breeds, such as the German Shorthair. They do not point as intensely as setters and pointers, which can be of help when those roosters go to runnin'. Most shorthairs will simply pick up their point and follow them, until they can pin them down quite close. The Brittany can be good, also, but they don't do well when kept outside in the kennel..They need a lot of human contact. One more thing: Don't leave out the German Wirehair. This breed may also suit your intentions.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting

Edited by - seattlesetters on 11/17/2002 21:12:56

Edited by - seattlesetters on 01/03/2003 14:53:53
Old 11-17-2002, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

On the pointers the GSP and the Brittaney work well as do labs and the mentioned Springer on the other side for the flushers

curt nulle
Old 11-18-2002, 07:05 PM

Toons,
All those are great dogs I'm in favor of Labs, They are great faimily dogs great hunters can hunt any game you want & will weather PA winters with a good insulated dog house & a heated water dish pretty well in a sheltered spot.

There is NO such thing as a bad day HUNTING
Good Luck & Good Hunting
Dan
Old 11-19-2002, 05:14 AM

Toons,Springer Spaniels are hard to beat!There is a springer breeder in Belle Vernon who I got my dog off of,he has some of the best lines around!I'm about 40 miles north of the 'Burgh.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the best dogs I ever gunned pheasants over was my Springer.He worked close,he worked hard and when I knocked a bird down,he'd find it-dead or alive.He was unbelievable in the field.I sure miss him!
Old 11-22-2002, 06:56 AM

I agree that a flushing dog like a springer or lab will make a good pheasant dog. I've hunted over setters that did a lot of pointing and then moving forward as the bird moved. For pheasants, I prefer dogs that hunt like a Springer or Lab.

Now, I'll stick my neck out and say that my Airedale is a terrific pheasant dog. She has been trained on birds and I have shot quail, chukars and pheasant over her.

I belong to a group that is working to bring back the Airedale for what they were originally bred for, hunting.

I know of a great hunting Airedale near Pittsburgh and I live just across the border in Ohio.

Airedales hunt for feather or fur!
Old 12-06-2002, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

I'd have to say shorthairs i've hunted with all of the above mentioned breeds but airdales and the gsp's where by far the hardest working of them all it also depends on your style of hunting as to which breed would suit you best

Old 12-07-2002, 09:48 PM

I got a soft spot for English Springer Spaniels.

TrestandEd

"Hard work ... conviction ... pride ... responsibility ... class ... character ... success...BOWHUNTING
Old 12-09-2002, 12:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: dog for pheasant ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.