Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Pregnant dog?

Old 11-09-2006, 10:36 PM

Default RE: Pregnant dog?

yeah i would love to have one too bhensely.. i just got a new gsp/lab mix a few weeks ago.. i like german shorthairs and i think any mix with another type of hunting dog would make a great companion an a great hunter.. hopefully mine turns out to be both
Old 11-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Typical Buck

Oh you bet, I have never had a GSP and am now on my 2nd Weimaraner, both very good dogs but the Weim's aree also very good dogs to keep in the house also. I'm not big into outside only dogs so there is one more reason I would love one of those dogs. Good luck with your new pup! I'm sure he will turn out to be a fine dog.
Brandon
Old 11-10-2006, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Isn't it amazing how quick the accidental breedings can happen? That's why we are so VERY careful any time we have a girl in season. I swear a dog would dig through concrete to get to a girl in season; and the girl would help him!!

If the nipples are changing, that's a pretty good sign she's pregnant. We look for a base to start forming at the nipple and the nipples to start getting bigger. When we see that, we get an ultrasound just to be sure because we want to change the diet and amount of food the last month or so. Let me say, though, that change can happen with a false pregnancy too; we have one girl that was bred and it didn't take, but she even had milk come in just before what would have been her due date.

At about 1-1/2 weeks before the due date, we get an x-ray for a puppy count (ultrasound is not reliable for a count; even the x-raycan be off). That is important so that we know when we are done with puppies or if there is a problem with the welping.

You mentioned you were pretty busy with school. Can you make arrangements to get away and be with the girl when she starts welping? Pretty important if something goes wrong during welping. You might also consider buying a book on breeding to help recognise any developing problems during welping or puppy rearing. Just like in humans, there's lots that can go wrong.

My wife and I have been breeding dogs for about 10 years now (not a long time) and we still are a bundle of nerves with every litter. But it's a real kick when the litter is grown up and going to their new homes. Good luck and I hope you have a healthy litter and mom with no problems.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Spike

Thanks for the back up guys, I think Doc just likes to get under everyones skin. He sounds like a grumpy old man everytime he replies to a post. Anyways I think I am going to crop their tails, I think it will look alot better.

T.R.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: trmckinn

Thanks for the back up guys, I think Doc just likes to get under everyones skin. He sounds like a grumpy old man everytime he replies to a post. Anyways I think I am going to crop their tails, I think it will look alot better.

T.R.
I'm getting on my flame-proof suit.

My response was to help with something that was already done. My response was to help out in the best interest of thesoon-to-be puppiesand the mom. I do not in any way condone breeding without any knowledge of genetics, health issues, welping, etc., etc. If someone were to ask me about an accidental tie, I would say keep them apart after that and hope the girl doesn't get pregnant; I know of a couple breeders that have actually done an abortion after an accidental breeding.

I certainly do understand why people want to breed, but the proper way to get into it is to get an established breeder to mentor you. That's what we did and we have done that for a couple new people ourselves. That breeder can help you understand that there is a lot more to breeding than just throwing a couple good looking dogs together and hoping for the best. I really would encourage you to get a book or 2 (and a video or 2) on welping so you at least have an idea on what is involved and can recognise a developing problem, should one occur. Even better would be some help from an established breeder. As I said before, there are many, many things that can go wrong.

Finally, like I said before, I really do wish the best for you with this litter. I just ask that you consider not breeding again until you have an established breeder helping you that can guide you in the entire process.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Spike

Her do date is around thanksgiving so I will be out of school. Purdue University starts break the tuesday before, so I will be with her 24/7.

T.R.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

BruceH- No need for the flame suit, I didn't see anything wrong with your postt. You did give him some good advice and didn't sit and rag on him for letting this happen. Like you said, it happens fast and what's done is done. Now I do have a question, what does the term welping mean? I have never bred dogs or had one get pregnant so I am not sure of all the terms such as this. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Glad you didn't take offense to my post. I posted a very similar answer on another hunting site and they ripped me a new one. Sometimes I get a little opinionated about breeding because I've seen some of the results when things went wrong, including with breeders a lot more experienced than me.

Anyway, welping is the term used for the birthing process.

trmckinn: Glad you are off and able to be around when she is due. Something you can do to give yourself a little advance notice is to start taking her temperature twice a day about 12 hours apart about a week before her due date. Write down the temperature each time so you can see what is mostly normal for her. When you see a temperature drop of about 2 degrees, you are within 24 hours of labor. It is possible to miss the drop, but we have not missed it more than 2 or 3 times over the years. Sorry to keep harping, but get a good book and a video on breeding. It will help you to know what's happening and will tell you what you need to buy to prepare.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Spike

I have assisted with a dog in labor. So I have a little bit of an idea about what I need to do. The vet that I take my dog to said she has a video that I can get so I probably will take your advise on that. Also I think I know, but how do you take their temp? Just wondering if there was an easier way to do it than the way my vet does.

Thanks, T.R.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

We use a digital thermometer; the butt is the way we do it. We use the plastic sleeves on the thermometer and wash and disinfect between temps. Generally, when she is getting very close (within maybe 12 hours or less) she will start nesting (digging and and routing around) and panting.

That's great that you have assisted; that will help a lot. Definately get the video and get a book too. Oh, and if you take her outside for a break between puppies, always have her on a lead and carry a flashlight and towel. We have had 2 or 3 puppies born outside over the years.

After the puppies are born, we feed the mom a couple slices of cheese to keep the calcium levels up after a breeder friend lost her mom to eclampsia when the puppies were just 1-1/2 weeks old.

If theres anything you're not clear on after watching the video and reading, just ask. I'll help as best as I can.

Quick Reply: Pregnant dog?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.