Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Need Medical help.......

Old 07-18-2006, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need Medical help.......

I would like to point out that you can have adnormal hereditary inflammation despite having a normal ECR tests. Note: I have CNS vasculitis, a diseaserelated to inflammation of the blood vessel but ECR test came out normal.

Concerning your dog, if it was a human, I would check for systematic lupus-type diseases. An MRI isn't that great for this. A full panel check or an angiogram. This is because the MRI isn't high enough resolution. In an angiogram, a scope is inserted into a vessel, then dye is used to help take pictures of the problem area. Also, watch your dog carefully if your giving that much predisone. Predisone can cause bloating, leaches calcium out of bones, and skin rashes. You'll also want to gradually reduce dosage instead ofstopping immediately.

I hope they find out what's wrong. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:59 AM

Well after doing some research on the net. I found the word the vet kept using Lymphedema. Sounds like a lot of the same symptoms. Now just how to prove that is what it is and how to fix it. The swelling has moved up his entire leg now. Any one know about this Lymphedema? I am not understanding what I need to do about this. Or what can be done.[/align]
Old 07-18-2006, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Silver GSP

1. I ran out of Supply. And thought the problem was taken care of.

2. He said it has fluid in the tissue you can push in on it and it would leave an indent in his leg from the fluid. There was a name but I don't remember the name of what he called it.
1. Joint supplements should be a life-long regime. They are decent as treatments, but they are even more important as preventatives. (You know, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure").

2. Probably Edema or Lymphedema.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:59 AM

Well still waiting back from the Vet but from the reading on the net it sounds like Lymphedema. toa untrained person. But I cant find out much about how to fix this problem.
Any help?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Spike

i have been checking on it to @ webmd.com did you go there ???

i am disabled from something like that my doctors have had a hard time trying to figure it out . it is to long to go into on the fourm bus some of the treatment might help

i can e-mail my # if that would be easier
Old 07-19-2006, 01:10 PM

My vet did call today but the same result they have no idea what is going on. They do know it is a edema but don't know why or what is causing it. They said they would do some more research on it the next couple of days, and I could go to Iowa State and have them look at it. The swelling is going down now and starting to look a lot better. Even if we do find out that it is one of the two Edemas it sounds like there is nothing that can be done about it. Except what we are doing now. rubbing it out, and the meds.
From what I have read on the net this could be hereditary, or an infection of some kind. Right now I am unemployed/layed off, So we are going to wait tell this happens again to have any further tests done.
Unless we hear of some thing different to do.
Thanks for all the help guys.
I will keep every one posted with any new information that come up.
[/align]
Old 07-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not in that field so I can not give you sound advice
except good luck on your dog's recovery and hopefully
finding that cure for it.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Spike

i wish we could do something more..
Old 08-08-2006, 04:25 PM

Update 8-8-06
Well went to Iowa State yesterday with he dog. Leg still has some small swelling but he is using it.
They did a whole baray of tests more blood work, joint tap, more tissue samples against my own thoughts. They wanted to start fresh with the tests so they (ISU) could try to find out for them self's what is going on. They didn't want to do a MRI yet until all these tests come back first. They don't think it is Edema. Because he has not lost his leg and or the swelling has not gotten worse. Meaning that the vessels still have some flow through them. Is there any way there could be a partially blockage in the wrist?? Or some way he could be bending his knee and causing the blockage???????
ISU is stuck on thinking that it is a bug or parasite causing the problem. Still waiting for some of the tests to come back. They are trying to grow a culture from the joint fluids. So we will see.
And he has put him on 30 day supply Doxyccyline 150mg
Notsure how he can put him on a drug and not know what the problem is yet