Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New Dog Kennel setup photos

Old 06-23-2006, 09:40 PM

Default New Dog Kennel setup photos

Well, I finally have a good kennel setup for my squirrel dogs. Here are two pics. There are two 5x10 runs that can be opened up to each other or separated. Each run as a doggy door into a doghouse that is connected from the inside of the shed. The awnings over the doggy doors make good benches for feeding the dogs on and for them to lay in the sun on. They also provide an awning for the house and a place for them to lay under in the shade without them having to go into their houses. the kennel floor is made of 8 inch x 16 inchconcrete pavers that I layed by hand on top of landscaping cloth after leveling the ground as best I could. I packed sand into the cracks, and they are as tight as they can be. They are not budging at all after about 2 weeks of having dogs on them. The kennels are lifted to allow for easy spraying out with a hose. I keep the dogs in them all night, come home at noon and let them out for a few minutes, then put them back up while I finish my work day. At 5 p.m., the dogs can have the evening to roam the yard. At night, they can go in for sleeping. It keeps them safe and out of trouble in my yard. I don't want them treeing all day in the yard and getting themselves hoarse or bothering neighbors. They need those vocal cords for when we are in the woods chasing squirrels. Enjoy. This wasgood alternative to pouring concrete in my opinion. You can also notice how they slant downward toward the far back right. This was an accident for the most part but actually will allow for good draining. Last step is to apply Thompson's Water Seal to everything in sight and perhaps put a baby pool with dirt it there with the dogs (for whatever reason, my male seems to refuse to poop on the concrete. I am thinking a baby pool with dirt or grass in it will encourage him to use it?)

Old 06-23-2006, 09:41 PM

Default RE: New Dog Kennel setup photos

Picture II

Old 06-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

"SWEET"..!!! Great job..
Old 06-24-2006, 12:57 PM

I take it your dogs don't climb fences...sweet setup, but for some of the dogs I've seen you'd need to roof the kennel with either something solid (keeps the sun off too) or chain link to keep them in, especially if they like climbing on top of the dog boxes. Just something to be aware of.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Looks great with the shade trees and all.

Andbig enough evenif you get sent to the dog house...
Old 06-25-2006, 09:25 PM

Man I like that set up alot it gives my some ideals. I just getting started breading Boxes and I need to build a kennel. Right now thay are in half acre chain link fence, Thay also my pets so thay sleep in the house at night.