Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Jumping????

Old 06-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Jumping????

Hey everyone I have a 15 week old Bloodhound and he is huge but I was wondering what is the best way to get him to stop jumping on everyone that he see... I have heard that you step on their feet when they get ready to jump but it doesn't seem to bother him what do I need to do....???
Old 06-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jumping????

You and EVERYONE else should grab him by his front feet -- squeeze hard and push him backwards with a specific verbal command. Other people will need to be told and shown how to do this before they ever meet the dog.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Doc I will start doing this and I will let you know how it goes....
Old 06-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Youcan do anything to make it uncomfortable for the dog to come off his front feet, but the most important thing is indeed for everyone to do something other than rewarding the dog, ie, the animal lover that come over and lets the dog get up on them and get petted and loved and says "OH its ok, I love dogs!!!!!",[:@].
Old 06-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Spike

I found the most effective approach is to completely ignore them when they do it, turning your back and folding your arms. It hurts to get leapt on, but theysoon realise it's not getting them anywhere to jump, and most seem to hate being ignored more than anything else. Most dogs will see any kind of attention as a reward, whether it's a hard push or a pet. Stepping on toes can get dangerous as unless you just tap onthem with yourheel inthe air, it's easy to break one. Any kind of physical punishment doesn't seem to be effective on a bloodhound either. Despite their size and build, they're pretty sensitive.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

my daughters counselor comes over and my hound jump right in her lap, i do not allow this, she is like , oh , it's ok, i love dogs....and lets her do it, i feel bad when i have to tell her nooooooooooooo, she is not allowed to do it, then i get the look like i am the one needing counceling ,lol......she has issues with me because of all of the dead things in my house, she's a total anti., but she loves the fact that my dogs are my babies....like i said persistance is the key with anything when it comes to a hound,lol...