Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Nervous

Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Nervous

Hello everyone,

I searched a bit and tried to scroll through some topics, but didn't see what I was looking for. I know it's there, just didn't see it.

I had the chance to go bird hunting several times with friends last year. Turns out I'm throughly hooked!! Watching those dogs work was like.... well you all know what it's like.

So, I put a deposit on an English Setter pup. She'll be ready in a couple of weeks and I wanted to read up on training. I'm not worried about trying my had at training. I've always had dogs and trained them without any problem. I understand personalities and know how to watch for signs of problems or distress. However, I don't know much about the bird dog side. I'm ok with whoa, come, heel, but REALLY nervous about a gun shy dog, or warping it somehow.

After all that, I come to my question. I want to read up on all this. Any suggestions? Internet sites or books either one is fine. Even different theories and styles are welcome so I can understand all sides and techniques. The whole thing is a bit of a mystery. Only thing I equate it to is a sheltie I once had that just knew how to herd. Was the crazies thing watching a pup of 6months herding chickens... It just knew what to do. So I'm guessing my bird dog will be the same way. I just don't want to be the one that messes those instincts up.

Thanks,
Christopher
Old 05-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Nervous

The second line of your post holds the key. Get out with those friends of yours and have them help you. They have proven that they can train, so learn from them. That's better than a book or the net. Jim
Old 05-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Well congrats on the pup....BIggest thing is if do all your yard work. Whoa....Here ...ect. You will be leaps ahead of the game, ( Gotta have a steering wheel and brakes)Second let the pup be a pup.. Some people feel that if there dog is not steady to wing and shot at 9 months the pup will never make a Bird dog. the first year let the pup devople his love for the bird...... Expose the pup to as many birds as you can. That does not mean shoot every bird... Let the pupchase some if they are wild he won't catch them....Remember you want him to mentally developed as well as physically.....Visit this board often you will get all kinds of advice some better then others. But remember don't put to much pressure on the pup...This stuff is supposed to be fun.,....Casey
Old 05-10-2006, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

I would recommend Delmar Smith's/Bill Tarrant book. It's old but still applicable today. Read it first then go back to different sections as you progress with your pup. It will explain about the chain gang/stake out chain, force fetching, etc. terms that people use when training.

Also, english setters are usually quick to test you. But once you let them know you're the alpha, they will submit willingly. Alittle training will go along way. I have a Llewellin setter (basically an english setter) one year old pup as is progressing well with training as she listen well. Stubborn at times but generally listens well.

If the dog came from hunting lines, then pup will most likely have that pointing instinct already (steady to wing). Some will quarter naturally. As to introducing the gun to the dog, that's six or seven months down the road. But you'll want a check cord and a .22 starters pistol. Do NOT light firecrackers near, or take them out to a gun range. Do NOT put the dog in front of a line of hunters if the dog only exposure is to the .22. You will need to gradually introduce gun noises, ideally, .22, .410, 20ga/12ga then multiple guns. You can do banging pans, etc. during feedings but will still need to gradually intro to multiple guns.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out the book you recomend. I've read some already, but wanted some solid backgroud. Luckily I have several months to figure it all out. I read a good article suggested here on the board about training a dog for guns.

Thanks again, and any suggestions are welcome. I'll keep an eye on this board, as I'm learning a lot here by watching the threads.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:01 AM

Well congrats on the pup!! man dog training can be a job, and or it can be easy, the biggest thing that I come across is the newbies, they want to be all excited and jump in and start training...which is agood thing to an extent, the dog will tell when its ready to start being broke, and if its not ready .....upstairs, dog will blow up....somewhere, the gun, the retrieve, handleing....something. When you work the dog, always expect the unexpected, if the dog boogers up little, dont worry, or panic, like lets say you gotta a bird out, dog comes in and points for a blink of an eye, though before dog would point for eternity{seemed like}, and you no more than get there, pow!!! dogs on the bird, before you start yourself, and whoa whoa, and fregging out, relax!!!!! OK, the dog blew the point up, prepair for the next time. Encourage the retrieve, or walk on, if the dog doesn't want the retrieve. On doing young dogs, always always, something odd will happen, they are learning, and so are you. A dog will never be broke in a week, you can try and break them on a barrel, or 2x6, all this stuff is great, and makes a great looking dog, but when you do it this way, it will fall apart in the field......until its taught in the field, with out birds, and then with birds. My self I will teach once, intead of 3-4 times. You will see when the dog is ready to start the breaking process, you will see it in its eyes, its body, and definatly in its attiitude, around game. There is no time or age set!! EVERY dog and breed is different. The books will not tell ya this, and most of the guys, {in general} know this but wont except it. There are some pretty level headed guys, and some good trainers on this board, a good bunch of guys and gals here.....More hunters, not many show dogs, which keeps a lot of piece in the family. Anyway, you ever have a question, on anything about a dog, man feel free to call or e-mail, I hate trying to fix on the computer, it can be a lot of typing, just remember patience and timing will make you a better dog. The dog will read you, and you pay attention, and you will be able to read the dog. Always be confident in what you are gonna do or teach. Doc had a link on a post here for Natalie, on gun assoc, pretty good article, I do not post links myself, I will explain to who ever what and why, that way,I am 1 on 1 with the person, and when I ask what or why, I know what they are talking about, because we are on same page. It will bea great experience for ya, I love them all, Later and have a good day, Jonesy 859-985-2918 [email protected] Jonesy's Gun Dogs, Berea Ky.....I train and or fix all breed bird dogs and retrievers, Cya man, DAVE JONES, aka Jonesy
Old 05-10-2006, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the info Jonesy. I've started a word document with info from this board so I can print and go over it later as the dog matures.....Let's just say, Jonesy is quoted a LOT! I understand what you're saying, and being a patient person I will listen to my dog. I know pups are pups, and don't expect it all to be perfect. It's really good to hear it from others and know that I have a chance... You may hear from me in the coming months.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

You might also want to look forbooks by Len Jenkins or Preston Mann they both are very good trainers of bird dogs and explain things very nicely. If you ever get to Mich. they actually do training seminars that you can take your pup/dog to.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:36 AM

I have had setters all my life & watched grandpa raise em.I dont agree with the pots & pans or taking your dog to the range thing but if it works for you fine.My granpa or I have never had a gunshy dog period.We never shot a gun around a dog untill it was bold on birds & would hold point,then we would shoot the gun & 95% of the time the dog would act as if it never heard the gun.If they are intent on the bird as they should be the gun will be a positive thing after a few birds fall.Start back a little then move up & the dog will tell you by their enthusiasim.My grandpa used a checkcord till he passed so it is all I know.Never used a E-collar as I have no experiance but have seen enough ate up dogs to know you better not misuse one.I have a buddy that uses with success & it speeds up his training time,so I see if used properly it is an asset.I have worked alot of dogs for friends & think the setter is the easiest to train for a foot bird hunter in the long run.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:05 AM

Here she is!
Thought I'd get her started on pheasant early
I tried to make this smaller, but it would have none of that.

Quick Reply: Nervous

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.