Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

question about chesapeakes

Old 04-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default question about chesapeakes

How are chesapeakes compared to labs? Are they just as good with children and are they easy to train. Heard they can be stubborn.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:59 PM

Default RE: question about chesapeakes

What I have come across with the chessies, is that if you use a softer hand, while teaching, and a softer approach when doing your job, all is pretty well, I think, do not know for sure, but I think that when the people get to a stopping point when the dog might be getting confused, and get impatient and forceful, then dog seems to get more stubborn. In the puppy programs, I try and give them a lot of freedom, alot more than a lab, and it usually produces a pretty good companion. Chessies, are really good companions, that I have come across. Some little bolder than others, but most have been very fair caracters of judgement. thanks Jonesy
Old 04-30-2006, 04:30 PM

I don't know if Chessies are any morestubborn than a lot of other dogs. In fact I am starting to believe that they are really smart and they do make you think. You don't make them a mechanical dog as so many nowadays are prone to do with many labs. I am not knocking labs either I raised labs for over 25 years and still have one old guy. I guess the reason I have more or less switched to Chessies is that so many labs around here do not have the kind of coat one needs to break ice and continue to do the job late in the waterfowl season. Too many now have to wear a coat to survive a little weather inmy part of the world.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:29 PM

My brother raises chessies (I prefer brits), and his dogs are all well behaved and much loved members of the family. What we've seen with training is that a harsh word gets a chessie to feel bad about any indescretions. Gettingphysical with a chessie onlybrings their spite, and the spite of an angry chessie makes a scorned woman look reasonable.