Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Rolling on her back?

Old 03-05-2006, 11:15 AM

Default Rolling on her back?

I was wondering if any of you guys had any tips to stop a dog from lying on her back or rolling over all the time. When other dogs are present, it is like the first thing she does. When she is around the house, she will be laying on the ground and will take her bone and flip over and chew it on her back. She sometimes even sleeps on her back. I just don't want her to do this in the field. Any suggestions? thanks
Old 03-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rolling on her back?

When dogs roll on their backs in the presence of other dogs (sometimes around humans too) it is a sign of submission.

In the other situations that you describe --- well, it's cause they like to.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:52 PM

as mentioned this is a normally a natural response from a less than dominant dog. They are showing submission to other dogs/animals/people etc etc. If this is a great hunting dog, then that characteristic is actually not a bad thing. If the dog is not jumpy or skittish.....and hunts well, then you won't have to worry about it fighting or attacking strangers or kids.........I think that is positive. I have had several dominant animals and they can be a handful. A less than dominant dog will be easy to train with little coercion required.........beats the heck out of a hard head......just some thoughts
Old 03-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

they usually do that to get a scent they may smell