Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Hound to hunt lions bobcats coons and bear

Old 02-22-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Hound to hunt lions bobcats coons and bear

I'm getting a hound to run lions, coons, bobcats and bears..(i'll be running my single dog with friends that have hounds).is it possible to do this with indoor house cats and the dog living indoors?

Are the dogs able to seperate the house cats from the wild cats they'd be chasing?

I've been told i'll be ok

Old 02-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hound to hunt lions bobcats coons and bear

I don't know about hounds per se. But my dogs have as high a prey drive as there is, and they absolutely love killing cats, coons, etc, whatever they can get their mouth around. Many that have drahthaars, have raised them with a house cat and been fine. I am sure they know not to touch that cat. But it starts when they are puppies, don't let them chase THAT cat. Your house cat has your smell on it, they can tell. But these same dogs that run into another neighborhood cat, will chase and kill if they can. So I know dogs can learn which ones are off limits.
But, there is always a risk.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

You shouldn't have any problems with that cat. However, you should break him of coons. If you dont you'll end up on a lot of lion hunts with nothing but coons to take home. Coons are good to start a dog on when they are young, but not for a serious lion dog. Hounds that can consistently catch lions are priceless, coon hounds are a dime a dozen.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:26 PM

What kind of hounds do your buddies run? If they run "potlickers," (blueticks, black & tans, plotts, or redticks) get that type of hound. If you do not have old dogs to run your puppies with by all means let them run wildhouse cats. It teaches them to use their nose, and also how to unravel a track. Just don't let them run your neighbors cat. As far as coons, that teaches them how to fight. I have seen a 15 boar coon put a hurtin on a pup, but the pup learned quickly what to do and not to do.In my part of the country it is hard to have a dog that runs more than one type of game, due to thefact that we have so much game.So we have several different packs. We run a bobcat & lion pack and then a hog and coon pack. If one were to run the other he is in trouble. It really depends on what type of game you want to run, and what type of country you have to hunt in. If you have small places (5000 acres or less) run potlickers, or if you have big places run running walkers.