Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Any ideas on socializing ?

Old 02-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Any ideas on socializing ?

I live in a small town and my dogs need some socializing skills !
It seems when around someone they do not know they are very nervous
and will not work as good. Any Ideas ?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Any ideas on socializing ?

If anyone in your area offers puppy obedience classes it would be a great way to get your pup started with other people and dogs. Plus some help with very basic commands.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks but theres not much here the nearest class is 96 miles away.
They do most of the basics pretty good unless someone they have not met comes around then they stay about ten feet away.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:21 PM

Socializing dogs like children starts at home don't drop them off at a day care for someone else to raise. bring em in the house around your family and friends.All my personal dogs as well as my clients dog come in the lodge at some point in time if only for a little bit for some bonding.
"remember don't spoil your bird dog"

Old 02-21-2006, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks however I choose to keep my dogs in the house it's just that in a
small town they see the same people over and over.I guess if I can work in a couple of trips to a field club ( about 120 miles from here ) might help me I'm hoping.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:36 AM

Is that an Irish Setter?

Phil, do you take your dog along with you when you do errands? If you are in a small town or don't get much foot traffic around the house, try taking your dog along with you in the truck when getting groceries, gas and other stuff. Make a point of praising the dog when it behaves appropriately, and perhaps carry some treats along that you can ask people to feed your dog. This should start to expose your dog to people and generate confidence. Remember that most "shy" dogs lack confidence, this is why they defer or back off from new people and other dogs. You can build up confidence, it just takes work.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

If nothing else getting them around some other people and dogs will help. Didn't realize you were that far away from a class. That's what happens when you are from a Metro areaand stepping over people everyday.
Good Luck with the pups.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have a wal-mart or some other store like that around close? Take your dog out near the entrance/exit of a store that has a lot of foot traffic. I guarantee ya that there will be a lot of people want to come over and say "HI" to the puppy. Experience is a great teacher.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hi guys and thanks for the ideas I will see what I can do.Yes we do have a Wal-Mart about 25 miles from here so when I can I will try it. I once took one to petco 100 miles away and people couldn't believe what they were looking at! So will try this Wal-Mart trick to see.

For MA Jay yes she is 100 % Irish from the Sheantullagh and Moanruad
strain ( closessetter to early 1900s eara ) she is 2 years old in pic. and tips the scales at 38 pounds. The male I have is 7/8 the same and 1/8
Marandon line ( U K ) tips the scales at 62 pounds. Not 100 percent sure but have been told the only setters of this line from Maine to New Jersey.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

MA jay and Doc E's suggestions are what I have used. My Bavarian goes with me were ever I go in town to get her use to riding and to socialize her to as may different sights and sounds as possible. The Wal Mart idea works really well for socialization and obedience. The only problem that I have found is that some pepole, mostly those with untrained dogs and animal rights nuts, frown at you or may say something to you when you go to correct an obedience issue in front of them. But the experience your dog gets is well worth it.

Quick Reply: Any ideas on socializing ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.