Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Ever run into this?

Old 02-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ever run into this?

I took my pup out in the woods for a walk the other day. and he started acting birdy kinda, like something was there. so then he stopped and i saw he was looking at something.. so i ran up and it was a porcupine. i yelled, said NO, NO... HERE he started to go to it so i then lit him up w/ the E collar. he came back to me, which was good.. whats a good thing to do to keep him away from them? i know if he touches it he wont do it again, but i would rather it never happen. i really dont want him loosing an eye or something.. thing is ive been seeing so many porcupines the last few years. anyone ever run into this?
[/align]
Old 02-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ever run into this?

this is an updated pic of Husker. he is about 7 1/2 months. this is in the back yard, there was a dove on the wire he was checking out.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:38 PM

Training in the Dakotas and Canada I have seen lots of the little bastards.
"I hate em"
I had to pull quills out of alot of dogs. several pointers hate them as much as i do.they got into them multiple times (it was like they were hunting for them or something)
sadly some of my fellow competitors also had trouble with dogs getting in them. several dogs at a field trial in SK got em bad. one had to go to the vet to get broken quills out from under the skin.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Spike

I know this is going to sound and is cruel, But I did it to my Brit and he has naver gone near one since. Like you, I caught going in and he didn't want come back I normally hit my dog on the e-collar at the 1 setting. I just spun the dial and let him have it. It was on 4 and cried and jumped and spun and got back to me quick. But Like I said he has not gone near one since. I did the same thing when he went chasing a deer and he just watches them run off now.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

well thats what i did, i pretty much lit him up.. so im hoping that next time he smells one or sees one he will leave it alone. but who knows..
Old 02-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

fortunately, I never had any of my dogs run into porkys. I have heard of several methods for removing them. Some people say that vinegar softens the quills and makes them easier to remove. Another I read in I believe Outdoor Life Mag. is to snip the end of the quill before pulling it out. The article said that the quills are hollow and air filled and when you cut off the end, it make them easier remove. ??? I just hope I never have to try it.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

How's that pointer of your comming? Get a pic of him pointing. Pointers are awesome dogs.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've haven't run into this for quite some time but have had the pleasure of removing quills and it is no picnic. Cutting the ends off the quills can help but leave enough room for pliers. Anyways your topic brings back memmories and I think the e-collar is the way to go. Also don't bet on the fact that some quills in the mouth will stop it from happening again.I've seen alot of dogs go back for more. I think they just like the way they move around. Anyhow thanks for the topic and I will have to expose my
dogs to them in the spring with the e-collar on ready !
Old 02-18-2006, 05:08 AM
Typical Buck

He's doing really good Mite. the collar is helping so much. but im only using it for "here" and for stuff like this topic. i havent been able to get pics cause ive been having the gun. one good thing is the gun doesnt bother him at all. fact when he sees the gun he gets all happy cause he knows he is going hunting.. but i do want to get some pics soon so ill see what i can do.

ORIGINAL: Mite

How's that pointer of your comming? Get a pic of him pointing. Pointers are awesome dogs.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

That's good.We are gonna work on makingpup steady to wing & shot this year, hopefully. I just may use pinch collar and leash. Basically, flush bird and hold leash w/o saying anything. If that doesn't work, ecollar around the stomach. Also, on retrieving which should be easier than steading. We've been working off leash the past week and she's been doing well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.