Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

blood dog

Old 01-04-2006, 09:06 PM

Default blood dog

what would be a good breed for a tracking dog mainly for deer.is it easy to train a dog to track well?how much would i pay for an already trained and a puppy.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:24 AM

Default RE: blood dog

almost any dog could be trained as a blood trailing dog,espescially hunting,working or terrier breeds.lap dogs very likely won't work though.check out Wildlands website[forum member]he would be able to tell you more.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:08 PM

beagles are really good,there small and can be habdles well. terriers are also good.
I have a cross between a Jack Russel and Min, Snozzer.started to train him this year,(he about a year old) he has found 4 deer so far this year.(He I A Lap Dog) (He Stays In The House With The Wife And I).

my blood dog (Boots) died this past summer.he was 13 years old.thats the reason I started to train the Booger Dog to trail blood.

its really not hard to train them, just takes a lot of patiances and consistance.get you a good book and start to learn as much as you can.
good luck.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

dont forget the best, bloodhounds, lol.......i've been working with my Anddee and she is kicking butt and taking names, she hasnt lost a scent trail yet, but then again i havent gone more than a couple hundred yds.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:40 PM

Dk's & DD's are excellent trackers be that blood or scent....and both have to pass a blood tracking test in the VGP test.

There are several pictures of our dogs and their succesful tracks on our site.

Plus you are getting four dogs in one really....Upland, Waterfowl, rabbit and tracking dog.... in one small package!

Phil
REO
Old 01-20-2006, 09:58 AM

could some one list a few good books to get a new blood trailing dog started on the right paw? thank you very much
Old 01-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Right nowthere isonly one book in English on the subject of blood tracking dogs. It is by John Jeanneney, he is currently sold out but his second addition I think is at the printer now or will be very soon. It will have a few expanded chapters and one or two new ones. You can keep a check at his web site for details.
http://www.born-to-track.com/
Wildlands
Old 01-23-2006, 01:26 PM

Thank you very much wildlands. It is a very informative web site.Who would have thought that weiner dogs were good for any thing? now I just may have to have one of those little weiners.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Spike

OH, that’s the misconception of most in America. The Dachshund shares the same popularity as a hunting dog in Europe as the Lab does here. I have two Wirehaired Dachshunds with over 30 generations of working/tracking in their bloodline.

On a few calls I’ve taken the hunter didn’t know what breed I used to track with. After checking to make sure there was a blood trail (State Law) I got my dog out. It’s amusing to watch the reaction of the hunters standing around. Heck one guy almost dropped to his knees laughing. Well that all changed only seconds into the track when they are all still standing there but now with their mouths open. Six minutes later we reach the end of what took them 5 hours to track and another eight minutes for my dog to have his teeth sunk into the bucks ham. They weren’t laughing anymore, they were trying to buy my dog from me.

Don’t underestimate a Dachshund (German for “Badger Dog”) these dogs were bred to go underground and take on a Badger in his house. One hunter I tracked for was alone and his buck went a long ways. After he had dragged him for a while I offered to take over if he would hold the dog. Of course the dog had to follow the deer and after a few minutes he said “Here take your dog back, dragging the deer is easier!” They are some stout 30# dogs that are not scared of anything.