Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Kennel Web site opinions

Old 12-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Kennel Web site opinions

I have had to change my kennel name due to another kennel with a very similar name on the web. So I went ahead and reworked my web site and need opinions. PLease take the time look at the pages. I have them in different colors and different fonts. Tell me what you like and do not like. What would like to see? more pictures better explanations things like that, Be specific as to page and subject. I want you opinions so I can make a good web site. This is a free site so it might go down on occasion if it is viewed to many times in an hr. I am going to have my wife proof read it once she feels better so I know there are spelling errors.
www.geocities.com/kapkep/
Thanks for your time
Wildlands
I will be back next Tuesday so you have almost a week to tear it apart.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:50 PM

Default RE: Kennel Web site opinions

Sent you a pm.How many of these hounds do you own?Doug.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:00 AM
Typical Buck

Nice site. I would lose the green background in your tracking services, hard to read. Overall, nice site. I don't know much about hounds but with bird dogs, people are starting to test elbows and eyes. Somepeople are doing PENN hip testing instead of OFA. A little more reliable. You don't want genetic defects in your foundationdogs. Also, reputable kennels are giving health guarentees against genetic defects.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

41Houndhunter, we have 3 right now. 2 feamles from Poland and a male from Norway. Dad has probably helped a dozen people import pupies over the last 4 years. As far a history there is not much else known or to say. I can add how they are used in other countries. These are one perpuse dogs and that is to blood track. A few have been trained as flushing dogs for rabbit and birds but that is not the norm and that is over here were we like to mess with dogs and change them. That is one reason the Germans will not even talk with us. They do not want us to ruin the breed. I will make the changes I can that you suggested.

Mite, I will be offering a 1 yr health gaurantee with the pups. I have not sat down with a lawyer to draw up a contract for the pups but when I do I will post it on there. There is no know health problems with the dogs, no hip,eye,elbow problems. Because a lot of hunters are use to that I am going ahead and having the hips done and possably the eyes just to reasure hunters. Dad is going to have the hips done on his male also.
The coloring has on the services page has been noted and when I get back I will work on it and make the changes and try to dig up more photos to put on the entire site.
Thanks to the both of you for your comments.
Wildlands
Old 12-29-2005, 06:09 AM

I don't know much about hounds so I can't comment about what specifics people might be looking for. I couldn't get on to your website, but pictures are always good. I'll try again later.

As an FYI,I have started to hear rumblings in the breeding world about DNA testing. Some breeders are selling there dogs with a pedigree that isn't truthful and they have had to verify genetics with DNA. I'm not suggesting this is the case with you, but it is something you may have to deal with in the not to distant future.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:58 AM

I like the khaki color background with the black text. I also like the pictures and testimonials. I think that the secondary pages need to have a consistant feel like the home page with more than just a back button. Maybe keep the header throughout. Just my .02

Old 12-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

porknbeans brings up an excellent issue. In order to DNA test, you need a registery that you can apply to. My Llewellin sire and dam had to have DNA tested to register my pup. Is there any registry in the U.S. for your dogs? Are you willing to start one? Then with DNA testing all hounds will be as you want them to be. Plus, if the breed gains popularity, the name of your kennels becomes popular. With Llewellin, King kennels is popular. Every Llew can trace some of its ancestry to a King dog.

Anyways, I don't think you really need a lawyer. Just post a statement in your website, "...will replace with a puppy if a genetic defect is found and reported to us within one year of the date of sale.A statement signed from a qualified vet must accompany the claim..."
Old 12-30-2005, 10:50 AM

looks good
Old 12-30-2005, 03:23 PM

You need to proofread your site. Their shows possesion, there shows location. There are a few other errors as well.

Otherwise a nice site.

Personally though, I own a drahthaar registered with VDD and am testing in the JGHV, and for $800, there is simply no way I would give you my breeding rights. If you follow the JGHV standards, there should be no concern of "screwing up and changing" the breed. Breeding Contracts turn off a lot of people, are nearly impossible to enforce, and shut you out from a lot of otherwise good owners. Quite honestly, a lot of the guys that would benefit from owning a dog like this would go tell you to pound sand on principle alone. We hunters are not real fond of people telling us what we can or cannot do with our own property.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:16 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not advocating giving up breeding rights. I'm saying if there isn't a registry for that particular breed he can get together with other owners and start one. That way they can determine the direction they want the breed to go. Look at the Llewellin community. Both parents need to be DNA registered before the litter can be registered. This is with FDSB. It has nothing to do with breeding rights. I can breed my Llew if I decide to but inorder for the litter to be registered as Llews, I have to have her and the sire's DNA on file. We can therefore trace her ancestry back to the 1880's. And since DNA testing, we also know every registered Llew is genuine and no other breed strain introduced. This is to prevent unwanted bench strains from entering the gene pool.

I'm surprise the DD community doesn't do DNA testing. It'sjust another tool for breeders. If there's suspicion in a dog's line then DNA will tell.

Quick Reply: Kennel Web site opinions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.