Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need y'alls' help as soon as possible. Monday night my Lab had an epileptic seizure, at the time I didn't know what was wrong. It wore off. Then Tuesday I had him on my atv and he had another one, I got him on the ground and held him til it ended. Before I could get back to the truck he had another one and I headed straight to the Vet. After all the blood work and other test, he came to the conclusion that he has epilepsy and will have to take medication the rest of his life, he's 4 yrs. old.

Here's what I need. Do any of you know of a company that makes a life/flotation vest for dogs. If he had been in the water when he had the seizure, he probably would have drowned before I could get to him. If there's not a company that makes them, can any of you please recommend a company that may be willing to do a special order for me.

I just last week had to put my old dog down and I was so disheartened at this news I told the Vet I was not going to hunt anymore. He told me to not stop because me and my dog loved it to much, and if he did drown, it would be doing what we love. Sounds hard, but I have to agree with him, but have to try to come up with something that could keep him afloat til I could get to him.

So Please, if you can direct me to somebody or company that can help me I would deeply appreciate it.

Dog1
Old 12-21-2005, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dogs RARELY have seizures when they are active (as in a retrieve). Seizures are 99.9% when the dog is 'at rest'. A study was done on Poodles with epilepsy, and it was found that giving 1200 mg of Fish Oil per 25 lbs of dog weight basically eliminated seizures. Might be worth a try.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

I bought one at petsmart. Never used it as my dog hates water. She'll only swim if a bird is near shore. You can find them here: http://www.lcsupply.com/store/flashcart.cfm?section=146
Old 12-22-2005, 06:24 AM

Cabelas has them and I think I've seen them at Bass Pro also.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the replies and info, will chech each one out. dog1