Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Boarder Collie

Old 12-08-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Boarder Collie

Any experience with these as hunting dogs?

My wife and I are looking into opening up our house to a dog. This will be a familly pet, but I would also like a nice bird dog.

I had a boarder collie when I was a kid. She was a great dog, love to fetch and retrieve. In fact, she would do it for hours and sometimes, when no one wanted to ply any more, she would try to throw with her mouth, or kick a ball, just so she can chase it.

She also loved going to my aunts farm in the summer and would instictivley round up all of the cattle and push them from one end of the pasture to the other.

I have considered getting a lab since most of my bird hunting is with water fowl (she was also great at rounding up ducks too!), however, I am just interested if any one knows how this breed will work out as a huting dog.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Boarder Collie

I've had several but never used any of them for hunting just for working livestock. All of mine were gun shy and I never tried to get them not to be. I think it would be safe to say that there is nothing a border collie can't do and I've always thought about using one for hunting but never tried it.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Boarder Collie

They are very smart, but they are not bred for use as a hunting dog. They are bred as a herding dog.