Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

lab pup

Old 11-16-2005, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default lab pup

i just moved into a new house and have a six month old yellow lab. before the move she was with her mother the whole time. she seems to be very timid and scared of everything. i have never used a shock collar on past dogs, but would like to on this one. i was just wondering if this would completely wreck my dog if i got a collar for her right away.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:11 PM

Default RE: lab pup

Why do you feel you need to now? If she's staying inside with you, man the work that can be done. And the cool thing is, the dog won't even realize its working. You got some ques. i'll get you started, Thanks Jonesy The timid stuff will go away, security blanket is gone , this is where we kick in. Let me know more
Old 11-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Typical Buck

Ah..separation anxiety. I followed my breeders advice and put the kennel near my bed the first few days. Now, she follows me around everywhere.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

my pup is staying outside, and she never comes inside the house. i have kind of noticed already that she is getting better.when is a guy supposed to start using a shock collar on a dog? and also do you think that i should use the collar on her just for hunting use or for around the yard too?
Old 11-20-2005, 07:17 PM

You need to associate what and why for the dog, ob is great starting point, but teach while using the collar, There are alot of tricks to teaching it,the biggest thing about the e-collar is always repeat the comand after using, while teaching. It will overlay without the repeat later.So starting "here" nick "here", start out with collar LOW!!! When you fix the collar to dog, it should besnug enough to slip couple fingers between collar and neck. When you figure out the amount of heat for the collar, nick LOW,you will see some sort of response from the dog when it starts to feel, like eyes blink, neck twitch, it will be a noticable movement of the dog. If you have a problem, or unsure,feel free to call or ask, 859-985-2918. Dave Jones, Jonesy's Gun Dogs, Thanks Life is Good!!
Old 11-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another suggestion...If you do use a collar...Only put it on first without using the control's. I first put a collar on mine when we're going out to have some fun, and just having a good time...never took the cotrol with me, that way the dog associated the collar with good thing's...then started on the lowest setting possable during training....Good luck. If you have a temper, a short fuse, or no patience...then please don't use the collar...
Old 11-20-2005, 08:59 PM

Yes, I agree,or send him to some one with some good crudentials, In dog training it is always better to be safe than sorry, if you are unsure.Let the trainer get it started for you, then you can go from there. I do not know where you are located, but I would be very interested in working with you. Thanks, Dave Jones Jonesy's Gun Dogs 859-985-2918. another e-mail [email protected] Feel free to call or e-mail. Thanks, Life is Good!! Jonesy
Old 11-23-2005, 06:39 AM

I had a black lab that was like the one you were explaining. I would follow what these guys have to say. We tried everything with this pup, but she was very timid and shy. I wanted to train her like my other 2 labs to be a bird dog, but it just didn't happen. Everytime we would take her outside to train (w/o a collar) she would always take off and run back to the house. She was just a strange animal. We found a loving (non- hunting)family for her to go to, and she does just fine inside. Some dogs just aren't cut out to be hunters.

-buckoff15
Old 11-23-2005, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mnhuntr_82

my pup is staying outside, and she never comes inside the house. i have kind of noticed already that she is getting better.when is a guy supposed to start using a shock collar on a dog? and also do you think that i should use the collar on her just for hunting use or for around the yard too?
Actually, what you need to do is get on a good training program. It isn't about pressing buttons "forhunting use" or"in the house" or "around the yard". It's about NEVER using the collar to speed up or enforce a command that the dog doesn't already know.
Get on a modern, proven, sequential training program NOW.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

hey guys sorry i havent been on for awhile, but i was out in north dakota finishing up the duck season. my pup will only retrieve the dummy four or five times then she decides to quit and do something else. does it help to reward her with a treat everytime she brings the dummy back or how can i keep her going?? she also will drop the dummy about four feet before she gets to me. how cani get her to fetch it and bring the dummy that remaining four feet.thanks guys

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.