Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

lab pup

Old 11-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: lab pup

ORIGINAL: mnhuntr_82

hey guys sorry i havent been on for awhile, but i was out in north dakota finishing up the duck season. my pup will only retrieve the dummy four or five times then she decides to quit and do something else. does it help to reward her with a treat everytime she brings the dummy back or how can i keep her going?? she also will drop the dummy about four feet before she gets to me. how cani get her to fetch it and bring the dummy that remaining four feet.thanks guys
PLEASE read my first post. You need to get on a good Training Program and you need to get on it NOW, before you screw up a good dog.
All of your questions will be answered in a good Training Book. You are asking questions that are all incorporated into a modern training program.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Doc, you need some type of training program, especially before using an E collar. Incorrect use of an E collar is a quick way to to screw up a dog. And I would recommend getting with a training group, they are a good way to learn about dog training.Or take the dog to a trainer for the basics.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:20 PM

Hey, here's some word to try, first on the 4 or 5 then tired of the retrieve, reverse the fun, give 1 or 2 put it up. On the dropping 4 ft before gets to you, as soon as starts coming to you, i'll say half way between the pick up, and you turn around and walk a little bit fast the other way. Dog will freak out little bit and usually hurry to get to you, just let it carry kneel down, and get it. Try this for a month, if that doesn't work, don't worry send her to a trainer, and have her force fetched. If you were to send her to me, ball park three months, reason being the force fetch would probably be slow, because she sounds soft, never know just an assumption, I would say month ob, month or two in ff, mo. 2 or 3 getit all put together, along with ob and fun in the field. Comes home to dad, new dog with a whole lot of ambition. Would enjoy to see your smile, nothing better than a happy dog, and a happy client. Makes it all worth while. If you don't understand i will explain more or differently. Cool, Thanks Jonesy
Old 12-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical