Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Advice

Old 09-26-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Advice

Ok I have an 8 week old Golden Retriever and I want to get him into Hunting...like waterfowling or something to that effect. I need advice on how and when to start training him. Also is there any books or wensites I can look at and get some ideas? I really want to start training now but I need some advice on if that is a good idea and if it is then how? Thanks so much!
Old 09-26-2005, 04:57 PM

Default RE: Advice

First off, get a book called "The Ten Minute Retriever".
Then get together with a Hunting Retriever Club in your area: http://hrc-ukc.com/
Old 09-26-2005, 07:30 PM

Ok Thanks so much!
Old 09-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Inactive

R O : There's an excellent book called "Traing your retriever" by James LambsFree(spl?). Get a copy of it if you can. I have been told it is almost the Bible of retriever training.

Good luck!! Start with your basic commands - come, sit, stay, etc.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:55 AM

Thanks X..I'll look into getting that book. I've already got Dallas into the basic commands..he knows "SIT" really well! I can tell him "sit" and he stops what he is doing and does it. I am working on "stay", "down" and "come"

Old 09-27-2005, 08:24 PM

Once he's learning his basics good switch to the wistle. This will help in the end. I used a couple books for my lab. "Gun Dog" and "Water Dog" by richard Wolters. They are older books but the author tells it like it is. He likes to start the dog very young. The only other advise is lots of time. As in every day. I put the time in early and now before season we just spend time on review. Hope it helps, --millpond
Old 09-28-2005, 10:19 AM

I would also suggest the Wolters books. Dog traiing is very fun and exciting, of course it can also be a pain in the....well you know!
Old 09-28-2005, 02:53 PM

Thanks you too
I will look into getting those 2 books...but I think I'm getting about 3 other books as well. LOL
Yes training can be fun and it can be a pain in the...you know what. But I enjoy it
Thanks you guys.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:39 PM

I will look into getting those 2 books...but I think I'm getting about 3 other books as well.
Get as many books on training a hunting retriever as you can. Read all of them thoroughly. Then pick ONE that you think you can follow with success and stick with it. Otherwise you just may end up confusing yourself and the pup.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

For a novice (rookie) trainer, it's hard to beat "10 Minute". For those with some dog training experience under their belt, the "Smartwork" series of books (by Evan Graham) can't be beat.

Quick Reply: Advice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.