Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Supplies for your dog out in the feild

Old 09-14-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Supplies for your dog out in the feild

I am just wondering what are some good things to bring with you into the feild for your dog for duck and geese. The first day I went out I felt so bad for Mongo since I felt like I forgot about him. I had to poor water my hand so he could drink and I did not bring him anything in snacks. The second day I brought some snacks for him bit I still had topoor the water into my hand.

I found some bowls that fold up that I am going to get for him. Past that and some treats I am not sure ifI should bring him anything else. I am just wonderingis there anything else that I sould make sure I have on hand for him?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2005, 11:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Supplies for your dog out in the feild

Your dog will never forgive you

I always keep an extra bottle of water in the car and when I think of it a bag of dog food just in case. Last time I went out in the field, I forgot the blanket so thecar really got dirty. A dog towel might be nice to wipe the dog down. Also a first aid kit. Other than that, dogs are easy to keep happy.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:12 AM

Benedryl in case a snake bites the dog. If you are a waterfowler in primarily cold weather, this is probably not so necessary, but if you hunt swampy areas or anywhere when snakes are still out, such as this time of year, you might be glad you had the benedryl. Stick one in a vienna sausage and feed it to the dog if bitten. Even if you don't have snakes, you never know what a dog might get into, thus creating need for a benedryl or something. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:53 PM

cool whip bowl for water ziplock bag of dog food towel and dryer sheets to wipe the stink off you never know what a dog might roll in
Old 09-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Spike

I suggest getting a bottle with a squirt valve at the top the ones I seen used most is a soaked out Joy or Palmolive dishsoap bottle. Then just squirt the water directly into the dogs mouth and they will drink it. To get them started squirt some around the mouth and they will lick it off believe a few times of that and they will open their mouth and let you give them a drink.
Make sure the water has no soap taste to it after you soak it out. You will most likely have to change water several times to get it to taste good.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:59 PM

Sounds good. Thanks
Old 09-20-2005, 10:11 PM

Will someone please help me understand. There was a post not too long ago about water in the field for a dog. Now I did post a smart A$$ statement about How in Iowa we I don't bring water as we always come across a pond, a stream or a puddle of water and let the dogs get a drink there. Now I was telling to truth. I guess it seems to me that you someone in say IL would find the same sittuation (I understand in TX and other places the land is much dryer and there are less bodies of water. I also ussually think of duck hunting taking place on a body of water some where, I know that is not always the case. So Please I was just wondering do you guys not have water available on land you hunt or do you find it nessisary to bring water instead of allowing the dog to drink "nasty" pond water?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:20 PM

In some spots the water is nasty. Now that we have had some hard rain a few times in the last week it has helped clean it up a lot. I just want to make sure he stays heathy in the field so that is my major concern.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Typical Buck

In my part of the world, duck hunting is mostly done in salt water marshes which you wouldn't want the dog to drink.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Having good drinking for your dog out hunting is a must. I carry a gallon of water in my truck, which I always anyway when training. And one of those steel dog water buckets made for dog crates that clip on the wire kennel door. And, have a dog first aid kit that includes, among other items, a dog first aid book and eye wash.