Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Labs for Upland game?

Old 09-10-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Labs for Upland game?

Hey guys! I am gonna be getting my first dog next year. I was originally thinking about a brittany pointer. I wanted a good upland dog, however in a couple years I am going to be getting into waterfowling quite seriously. So I am wondering if a lab would be a good upland bird dog too? My main upland birds will be grouse/woodcock, and a bit of pheasant. I am also interested in trying quail hunting with my dog. So will a lab be any good (with proper training of course) for upland? Thanks a bunch,
Old 09-10-2005, 03:22 PM

Default RE: Labs for Upland game?

I hunt my Labs as much or more on upland game as on waterfowl. Since there are no pheasant around my area it's all grouse & woodcock hunting. They'll hunt them up and flush the birds. My current Lab is out of a long line of hunting Labs(MH, GHRCH, HRCH, & Upland titles). He works close, slow, & deliberate. The only drawback of a Lab on grouse & woodcock is that they don't point like the pointers and setters. So you have to pay close attention to the dog when it gets "birdy".
As for "proper training" for upland hunting, I merely start getting a pup in the woods early and alot where there are plenty of birds. Any formal or intense training I do is on obedience, marking, and handling which carrys over into the grouse woods.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:46 PM

I was out the other day with a guy that hunts primarily upland game, and has a black lab. He's a very nice dog. Worked a close pattern in front of us, pointed the birds, then flushed, and retrieved to hand. Very very nice dog. One that would also do well with waterfowl as the lab is a born retriever.

However, if I had my choice and money wasn't too much of a consideration, I'd have a Pudel Pointer. The PP is very much at home with upland game or waterfowl. I don't have a PP, at present I have a German Shorthair, and he's awesome, but if I add a dog and money isn't tight, it will be a PP. I don't know if they are awidely known breed, but the research I've done on them left me impressed with them. This breeder: http://www.cedarwoodgundogs.com/ really seems to know his stuff, and had good information about PP's.

A lab is also an excellent choice, and probably cheaper than a PP, but I'm a firm believer in waiting a little extra, paying a little more, and getting exactly what you want. Do a little homework and then you'll be glad with your final choice.

Best of luck.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:31 PM

I had hunted over two labs last season at a preserve. Both dogs, a mother son combo worked awesome togther. They both got birdy when the time came and the mom even pointed one time. You may want to look into a GSP, thats what I got because I too wanted a good upland bird hunter and a waterfowl picker upper. The GSP have webbed feet and very short hair which should be great for waterfowl. Our GSP is very birdy and nimble so she covers ground like there is no tomorrow. Just another option for ya, but the Labs I hunted over last year were great so you really cant go wrong either way!

Old 09-11-2005, 05:34 AM

With your emphasis on waterfowl abilities, a lab would be a good choice for a combo woodcock/grouse/waterfowl dog. A GSP or GWP could handle your needs as well. Probably a little better on upland ability than a lab, but not as good at handling cold-water work.

Throw in quail hunting and you have a problem. If you're talking wild quail-- a dog needs more run than a lab has in him.

Kinda like pickin a gun. I'd consider how I was going to use the dog most of time and make a decision based on that.

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:48 AM

For some reason in the USA everyone thinks a bird has to be pointed to be shot and for some arcane reason this is better. I had a Lab for my first hunting dog. We shot every game bird one could shoot in the western US, even birds one is suppose to shoot over pointers (chukar and gray partridge). A Lab will find and flush as many graouse as you want to shoot. If you are "illiterate" and can't read your dog, you won't be ready for a shot, but most people can.
A Lab is a wonderful choice for what you are trying to do. One doesn't need a different breed than a Lab to hunt with. I likeChessies and terriers morejust becasue the Lab is so ubiquitous but you won't make a mistake. The thing to remember is if you train for retrieving you get upland hunting as a "free lunch". This is what James B Spencer stated in a number of his"Retrieve" columns in Gun Dog Magazine. If your dog can sit on the whistle (every time), come (every time) you can cut the Lab lose and let it hunt and you can keep it in gun range and shoot birds. The Lab marks better than a PP, GSP, or GWP.This means yourLab will retrieve the ducks better,IT'S WHAT THEY DO. IT'S THEIR REASON FOR EXISTENCE. Buy the Lab. You will be happy.

DrFatguy
Old 09-12-2005, 11:17 PM

I would venture to make a bet that more birds are shot over labs and GSPs each year than all other breeds combined. A lab is a decent upland dog and a great retriever. They lose their advantage when hunting out west for sharptails and pheasant in open country where a big ranging dog makes the difference. For hunting marshes for pheasants though a lab is a good dog.

However, if you like style, a good springer spaniel is the prettiest rough shooting dog you will ever see.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:00 AM

Alaska Magmun,
I would heartily agree, a springer is a great upland dog and beautiful to watch. My first dog hunted the deserts of Utah and we did well. Was she the best choice for chukars and Huns? No, but she adapted and we did well. This I think is the strength of the Lab and the GSP, they adapt. These two breeds love to be trained.

Dr Fatguy
Old 09-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-19-2005, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

I have been using a Deleware Black Lab to hunt duck, Goose upland birds. He is an excellent dog and I see my boys and I walking away with plenty of birds compared to most. He needed very little training and was a natural at pointing and holds well when out a bit. He also loves the water, which we need for WF, but this also isgoodfor pheasant - I have seen dogs stop a rivers/pond when on it but mydog just jumps rightand scents the far bank to drive them back to us.

The only thing tough with this dog is that he just does not like other dogs - especially when scent. I try to keep away from the crowded areas - which is hard opening day and early in the season. He also ignores the Gun Dog collar I bought to train - when I hit him he looks around like he was stung by a bee.

Quick Reply: Labs for Upland game?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.