Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Labs for Upland game?

Old 09-29-2005, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Labs for Upland game?

ORIGINAL: REM 44

I had hunted over two labs last season at a preserve. Both dogs, a mother son combo worked awesome togther. They both got birdy when the time came and the mom even pointed one time. You may want to look into a GSP, thats what I got because I too wanted a good upland bird hunter and a waterfowl picker upper. The GSP have webbed feet and very short hair which should be great for waterfowl. Our GSP is very birdy and nimble so she covers ground like there is no tomorrow. Just another option for ya, but the Labs I hunted over last year were great so you really cant go wrong either way!

Wont short hair be bad for icy water?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:12 PM

When the lake gets real Icy I dont plan on going out waterfowling anymore. We should be able to go through Oct into Novermber. I am thinking about getting her one of those padded vests too. One good thing about the short hair is it does not hold much water, when she shakes herself shes pretty much damp at best.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:03 AM

Pointing will be hard, but retrieving should be normal.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a biased Lab guy who owns three and 90% of the time they are flushing upland birds. They are easy to train for both upland and waterfowl. They also rank as one of the best family dog breeds. I love GSP's as well and don't think you would make a mistake by buying a GSP either. I honestly don't know how to get a GSP to sit tight in a duck blind when it's nature and primary training is to quarter a field with grace?

Best of luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

-Mathewsconquest2
Old 10-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Goose_Getter

Hey guys! I am gonna be getting my first dog next year. I was originally thinking about a brittany pointer. I wanted a good upland dog, however in a couple years I am going to be getting into waterfowling quite seriously. So I am wondering if a lab would be a good upland bird dog too? My main upland birds will be grouse/woodcock, and a bit of pheasant. I am also interested in trying quail hunting with my dog. So will a lab be any good (with proper training of course) for upland? Thanks a bunch,
Yes.
Since you are getting into waterfowling, there isNO other dog that is better for waterfowl. Upland is not the main focus of the breed, that said, they do a strong job there as well.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: mathewsconquest2

I honestly don't know how to get a GSP to sit tight in a duck blind when it's nature and primary training is to quarter a field with grace?

Best of luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

-Mathewsconquest2
It is called obedience. Sit and stay mean just that. There is no reason why a properly trained GSP cannot sit still in a duck blind.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

For as long as I can remember I've owned and trained labs. They are great pets and hunters for both waterfowl and upland birds. A dog trained to find downed watefowl will have no problem with finding birds in a field. One thing though, you may find that your lab will retrieve pheasants to you that you never shot. I don't know how many birds my labs caught and brought back to me - quite a few.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would think so. My brother in law has two labs...a yellow and a black..that he uses for basically the same purposes that you mentioned...and he does very well with them.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:59 PM

I spent many years hunting grouse and woodcock with a springer. Hunting the uplands behind a flushing dog is very exciting. Five years ago I got a setter whenI retired my springer. He is good, but it's adifferent kind of hunting. I know I'll have a springer again in the future.

I would say that a springer, and a lab hunt the same way, but each specializes in a different area. I would say if you plan to do more upland hunting get a springer, but if you plan to do more waterfowling get a lab. A springer can retrieve from the water, but can't handle the cold as well as a lab, and a lab can hunt the uplands, but might be a bit harder to read, and a bit slower to cover ground. Either way, when the dog gets birdy, move into a clear space where you can swing the gun, and get ready.

I'm going to say something nice about the pointing breeds now. Depending on how you hunt the uplands, a pointing breed might actually be for you. With my springer, I would actually have to follow her and bird dog the cover because you never know when the bird will flush. Since I have gotten a setter I spend a lot more time walking gated logging roads, and skidders, while the dog works the cover. The only time I go into the cover is when he's on point. This allows me to cover a lot of ground.

Anyway, no matter what you decide, take the time to properly train, and let the dog develope, and you will have a great time.