Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

TRACKING OR BLOOD TRAILING DOGS?

Old 08-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default TRACKING OR BLOOD TRAILING DOGS?

ANYONE USE THEM?
ARE THEY LEGAL IN YOUR STATE OR PROVINCE?
What limitations do you have on your use dogs? hours of day, carrying of weapons, dispatching of animal ..
WHAT BREEDOF DOG DO YOU USE?

In Alaska we can use one leashed dog and no restrictions as far as hours or carrying of weapons. not sure of dispatching by use of artificial light, doubt it.

I'm going to try and train my springer , 4 y.o. but i think i'm going to get a wired haired dachshund. this coming winter or spring.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:59 AM

Default RE: TRACKING OR BLOOD TRAILING DOGS?

AK Mighty Hunter, you allready know about mine but I just wanted to add this......

Wisconsins Regulations.....The dog must be on a leash at all times while tracking. The deer may only be dispached with the weapon that is in season, during legal shooting hours. After dark the only thing you can do is kill them with a knife.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah there was a post on the archery forum i believe about dispatching the animal. i might see if i can find it. i haven't needed a tracking dog yet. the only deer i've killed fell over when i shot it. but i would like to see if my lab would follow a trail. she has followed deer trails before. is there any kind of special training?
Old 08-18-2005, 07:29 AM

I had a Jagdterrier I was training to blood track. He loved it as much as he liked flushing birds. I think upland hunting makes a dog understand what is at the end of a blood trail. I used a different training method than is usually discussed. Instead of what one finds in "Tracking Dogs For Trailing Wounded Deer" by John Jeanneney. I make it an extension of FF. This gives me a good handle on the dog. The dog realizes he has to perform for me, first, and then himself, insead of doing it for himself and then me. This might be subtle but it makes a difference in my opinion.
The first blood tracking I did 30 years ago was illeagal but the DNR didn't mind. We would grab my old lab bitch and put her on the blood trail and I don't remember losing one. I didn't always ask the local DNR agent but he was a good guy and didn't want to see anyone lose a deer. My lab loved to track crippled birds. She didn't cast the line and try to guess where the bird was going like a lot of labs one sees nowadays. She followed the line. If the bird or deer turned she did. When she picked her head up you knew she was going to find it.
I live in the UP of Mi now. I am under the same contrainst as the gentleman from Wi. The dog must be leashed, dispatched with a knife. I put the knife on a 3 foot pole (read spear). I don't know if this is legal but it is effective.
Dr Fatguy
Old 08-18-2005, 04:36 PM

Im training my shorthair for it. He's done a 14hr, 600 yrd trail with two 90 degree bends. Im working up to a 24hr and a 1000 yrd's. N.Y. allow's the use of a handgun to dispatch wounded deer. I went to a seminar on the shutzen style and I will use it with my next dog but sence my guy is doing well now I dont think I'll retrain him.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunter06FlKy

yeah there was a post on the archery forum i believe about dispatching the animal. i might see if i can find it. i haven't needed a tracking dog yet. the only deer i've killed fell over when i shot it. but i would like to see if my lab would follow a trail. she has followed deer trails before. is there any kind of special training?
You will never know if the dog will track wounded animals until you try them. My old yellow lab would not track a wounded animal. If you took her into the woods for that reason, she just started casting around,looking for grouse. I don't blame her, it was all she knew and was trained to do.

My current black lab is a whole different critter. You take him to where you hit the animal and point out the blood, guts, what ever you got, and tell him to go get it, and he will go and find it. It's something he just seemed to know what to do. Of course this devil I swear can read my mind sometimes. We've also came across blood trails when grouse hunting and just for fun I let him track it down. We came over a hill and found a place where wolves had pulled down a wounded fawn deer. Needless to say we got out of that area real fast as wolves do not like dogs in their area and will run them down and kill them on sight.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

I am in Georgia and use a Bavarian Mountain Hound to track with. These are a specialty breed that is used just for tracking wounded game. I can track day or night and use what ever weapon is in season to dispatch a wounded the animal if still alive when we find it. Below is my web site with pictures of the breed and a little about them
http://www.geocities.com/kapkep/
Old 08-21-2005, 11:09 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: wildlands

I am in Georgia and use a Bavarian Mountain Hound to track with. These are a specialty breed that is used just for tracking wounded game. I can track day or night and use what ever weapon is in season to dispatch a wounded the animal if still alive when we find it. Below is my web site with pictures of the breed and a little about them
http://www.geocities.com/kapkep/
What a beautiful dog... I really enjoy learning about other breeds, and that was one I was not aware of. What a strong powerful looking animal. They look like they would be a great family pet as well, maybe I am wrong. Thanks for sharing your site... very nice.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Cayugad for the complament on the dogs. Did you make it over to the page with the all the different dog pictures on it? This breed is very loyal, affecionate,playfuland make great pets but they are first and formost tracking dogs and love to track. All agression toward people has been breed out of them, in fact if they show any agression toward people then they are not suppose to be breed. The ones that we have sleep most of the time but when it comes to tracking they are all business. Even though they are relativly small females 40lbs and 18 inchs, males 60lbs and 20-22 inches they are used in Europe to bay the wounded game if it is still alive. I have also heard of them beeing used over there to bay the Russian boars. I have a couple of people up in Wisconson that are intersted in getting a pup when I breed so there willbe some coming your way soon..
Old 08-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

WILDLANDS- great looking dog, seems like a very interesting breed. have added your website to my favorites.

Quick Reply: TRACKING OR BLOOD TRAILING DOGS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.