Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

TRACKING OR BLOOD TRAILING DOGS?

Old 08-29-2005, 12:02 AM

Default RE: TRACKING OR BLOOD TRAILING DOGS?

I will give you a breed that is good for many things, and I've heard some will use them for tracking wounded game, that is the Original Moutain Cur. Most people use them for hogs, squirrels, coons, bobcats or bears. I use mine for squirrels. They like to tree and bay, but some guys use them to track downed game, and my male will even point quail. Here are pictures of my 1 year old male, and the next thread will have a pic of my 16 week old female when she was about 9 weeks old.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:11 AM

And my female puppy...I remind you that most guys use them to actually hunt (but also as cattle dogs), not so much to track wounded animals. They are just gritty dogs. Here's Belle

Old 08-29-2005, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

SWOSUMIKE, We started out with Black Mouth Curs from Louisiana. They were good for air scenting and tracksunder 4-6 hrs but after that they werer notthat good. Also they had a lot of energy, too much go on the track and we needed something that was slower and did not pull as hard on leash.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:53 PM

Wildlands,
Yes the Blackmouth Cur is a popular multi-purpose dog, though quite different than an Original Mountain Cur.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:43 PM

I use my dachshound, or at least I train her now. Doesn't seem very common with you. Here in Germany, no one would ever track deer without a dog (except maybe if you knew it died within 50m from you) 40 hour old tracks, 1000 yards long are no problem for a trained dog!

The dog always works on the leash, no problem...

Norman
Old 09-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

had a bloodhound that i trained to track, but never needed her, then she was killed, so i had to use my sisters on my doe last year, also a bloodhound, she found it.....now that i have another bloodhound i have been waiting for some blood and hide to get her started...hunting on private land opens this weekend so hopefully i'll get her started on it......she loves to track other stuff, like hide and seek, lol....she loves finding humans, i know it's in her, everytime we go out to the woods, i'll see a deer and let her track it form the road, she does well...they have to be on a leash and whatever weapon is legal during the hunt is the weapon you can have...