Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

help

Old 07-19-2005, 06:03 PM

Default help

First let me say I am a avid hunter but this is not a hunting dog, just my friend. My 8 month old lab collie mix is chewing up everything we have, he is outside on a underground fence and is ruining my porch. I have replaced 12 spindles, he ruined our 100 dollar set of outdoor lights, he chewed the bark off our trees, he chewed the lawn edging up, he is so hyper my daughter can't get around him because he knocks her down. Also he only does the destructive chewing during the day so I have been forced to put him on a cable run when we are not home. What is his problem will he grow out of this or does he need fixed or is he always going to be like this. If anyone can help please do, he is such a loyal companian and I hate so much to tie him up of a day but he has already cost me around 500.00 dollars in damage. I am hoping this is a puppy phase but heck he is getting close to 9 months and is just getting worse. Also he has plenty of toys and is walked every night.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:27 PM

Default RE: help

I would say put him in a kennel durring the day, that way he cant get in any truble. The biggest reason he is chewing is because he is a pup, they chew, they have tuns of energy and when no one is around they get board and cause truble. The best thing that I have found is lots of exercise, keep him so tired that he is to week to cause truble,, no just give him enuf exercise and bonding time. The most important thing to do is start training him to listen, sit , come, stay, this will pay big time as he gets older. Also give him aother thing to chew on, what I did with my dog was gave him a rubber ball every time I had to leave him, he loved the ball and would spend hours chewing it. If I forgot to give it to him I was replacing someones shows.

Good luck with him and dont give up,teach him who is boss.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:29 PM

it'll take time but he'll come around. he prob. does not like bein' left alone.it's called seperation anxiety. just make sure you have alotta toys and bones. i had to keep my springer locked up til he was 18 months. now he runs the house.i've got a lab pup and she is 6 months old so i know what you are goin' through. now if i could her to stop jumpin' the pool before she drowns i'll be happy.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:22 PM

Will the hyperness get any better around that age or just the chewing?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Typical Buck

The puppy phase is approximately 2 years so you're in for a treat. There are products you can buy at the pet store when sprayed on smells bad for the dog.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:15 AM

Some dogs are chewers, some are not. By nine months of age, he should not be that damned destructive. Build a kennel where he cannot cause any trouble, obedience train him, teach him that certain things can be chewed, others cannot. He may be bored, or he may not be right in the head, but he needs some limits fast.