Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Is it possible to have a housepet hunting dog?

Old 08-11-2005, 09:20 AM

Default RE: Is it possible to have a housepet hunting dog?

I think there good points and bad on inside dogs and outside dogs. I believe it to be true that the more contact (human) a dog has the better but when you live in a cold climate an inside dog does not develop the thick coat that an outside dog does. If a dog being in a kennel means you have not enough contact with them then you probably should not even have one. Too many labs nowadays are being bred with such short and sparse coats they can't take even a little cold and ice breaking when it comes to retrieving waterfowl.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:20 PM

In my personal Opinion as a Dog Groomer.. I get a lot of hunting dogs in the fall and spring.. tons of them.. I have outside dogs and inside dogs.. This is Just my opinion but the inside kept dogs have more manners.. They listen well.. have a sense for when you are serious when it's not play time and when it's play time.. the outside dogs are like Hey! It's people let's jump and be happy and get all crazy and burn out a bit and then go hunting.. They don't have the one on one human contact that the house dog has.. I think if you have a house dog for your hunting partner they are more loyal to you because they are in the company of you 24/7 and really are intuitive to what you are asking of them... Outside dogs.. Some are good when trained well and are used on a regular basis but heck when you are only hunting during certin seasons you let the one thing that retrieves your kill or stir it up.. you just let them sit the other times of the year!?!?!? I'm sorry how do you think they feel... Just because they were bred to hunt doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to enjoy the warm house you live in while you enjoy eating what they retireved for you..........

Just m opinion.. I meet a lot of Dog people and I can tell you how 75% of most dogs live.. I believe that Dogs are mans best friend.. If someone told me my dog had to sleep outside I'd pitch a tent and sleep outside with her!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 06:05 AM

My beagles live in the house. They are all miniatures so they don't take up much room, and they have a yard to wrestle in a few times a day, but the only thing I will complain about is the barking/hooting/hollering. Anyone who has ever heard a beagle knows what I'm talking about, and anyone who has ever heard three beagles carrying on after the cat sinks a claw into one of their weinersat 3 in the morning knows even better.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have two GSPs and they are inside dogs, but wonderful hunters as well. My experience echoes many others who say that the dog that spends alot of time with you is the one that will tend to listen better when it comes time for some real commands.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

Just like most of you, I belive that your Hunting dog should also be your house dog, I think they listen better and under stand you when your serious and when your playing, My britt lives with me as a friend and I feel she is a better hunter for that, she sleeps in my bed, hogs all the covers lays on the couch and watches Yankee games, But I think she is a Red Sox Fan though that hurts,, This is how I think it should be, but thats my opinon.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:44 AM

We kept a beagle in the house and hunted her on rabbit. Never had a bit of problems with her, even with the barking. She was a great hunting dog and companion.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:35 AM

I've talked to several professional trainers and every one of them told me that a house dog will make a better hunting dog because of the bond being strengthened through continuous contact. Granted, there are times when I wish my dog lived in a kennel. However,I will live with those times for the way that she enriches my life. Much like having a wife and kids. Just my $.02
Old 09-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Absolutely. You cannot get my In-Laws beagles offthe couch until they see the cage going into the back of the pickup truck, then its rabbits beware.