Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dog loosing balance

Old 06-20-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Dog loosing balance

I am taking a chance in asking this question on this board, but I am sick in the stomach and the vet is of no help. I have an 18 month old black lab mix. Turned out to be more of a hunter than I could have hoped for in getting a mixed breed. Turns out he points instead of flushes, and thanks tothe helpfrom anowner of alocal hunting preserve, we were able to get him on his first real hunt within 12 months. Nothing helps the training more than working the dog on live birds and lots of them.
Recently over the past month I noticed that after he has been running a little, "nothing excessive", he will seem to loose his balance and stumble around. It's like his legs are giving out. This lasts for a little while, then he seems to be okay. My wife seems to think he is having seizures. It breaks my heart to see this happen and know that it may prevent him from hunting in the future. He is soyoung, butI guess anything is possible. My wife also thinksthe seizures can be controlled, but I am not sureof whatis really happening. How can you treat something you are not sure of? I was reading that ear infections can have this effect or it could be his joints. Any ideas from you guys on the board are greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I am in search of another vet.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Dog loosing balance

There is a condition we occaisionally see in the breed my wife and I show and breed (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels) called Episodic Falling. Don't know if it occurs in other breeds, but it sure sounds like what you are describing. Sorry I don't have any links, but if you do a search, you should be able to find plenty of information on it. Been a couple years since I read about it, but if I recall, Episodic Falling is not a terrible, awful disease. Good luck.

Bruce

OK, Ifinally found theweb site that describes Episodic Falling in Cavaliers: http://www.cavalierepisodicfalling.com Like I said, don't know if this occurs in other breeds.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the link Bruce. I'll see what they say and compare it to what is happening with him. I sure hope it's nothing serious. I'll respond back after I have a chance to review the link.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do a websearch for "Exercise Induced Collapse".
Old 06-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is alittle I found out about Exercise Induced Collapse....
Are there current treatments for EIC?
Dr. Taylor: Because the actual cause of EIC is still unknown, it is difficult to recommend an effective treatment. The best treatment in most dogs consists of avoiding intensive exercise in conjunction with extreme excitement and ending exercise at the first sign of weakness/wobbliness. A few dogs have responded to medical treatment, including the anti-seizure drug Phenobarbital; supplements with carnitine, CoEnzyme and riboflavin; or a nutraceutical called 7-KETO, to the degree that they can re-enter training and competition. None of the treatments, however, have been 100 percent effective in all dogs.
Can affected dogs lead normal lives?
Dr. Taylor: The best treatment in most dogs consists of avoiding intensive exercise that involves extreme excitement. Routine daily exercise is tolerated well, so these dogs do very well in pet homes and live normal lifespans. Many affected dogs can even function as competitive or working dogs as long as their owners/handlers are able to recognize the early symptoms and end exercise immediately. Very few of these dogs, however, can tolerate the excitement and activity of hunting upland game. Episodes of collapse seem to become less frequent as the dog matures, perhaps because the necessary blend of extreme excitement and extreme activity is less commonly encountered or perhaps because owners learn their dog's limits. That being said, many affected dogs have died during an episode of collapse when exercise was not halted in time. We are not certain of what kills these dogs – often they experience a generalized seizure during their collapse episode immediately prior to death.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's alittle more of the same artical on EIC..:
What did you learn about EIC?
Dr. Taylor: Based on our results, we were able to describe the affected dogs (age, sex, color, body type, temperament) as well as predict the types of activity most likely to bring on collapse. We have also been able to describe the episodes of collapse, physical findings during the collapse, and typical recovery, which will enable dog owners, dog trainers and veterinarians in the field to recognize the syndrome.

We confirmed that dogs with EIC are normal at rest, with no apparent differences in physical parameters or routine laboratory test results from the control dogs. We were also able to describe the collapse episodes in great detail based on our personal experiences of evaluating the affected dogs during exercise and collapse. Our thorough evaluations of affected dogs has also allowed us to eliminate all of the medical disorders commonly credited with causing collapse in these dogs. Our specialized metabolic evaluations have documented mild alterations in energy metabolism in the muscles and nervous system of Labrador retrievers with EIC, but the precise metabolic reason for the collapse has not yet been determined.
We also determined that EIC in Labrador retrievers is an inherited disease that is most likely autosomal recessive. We now are using the DNA of more than 140 affected dogs and their relatives to try to identify the chromosomal location of the genetic mutation responsible for EIC. Once the genetic defect is identified, a non-invasive DNA testing will be able to identify dogs that carry this gene as well as dogs that are affected before they start to show clinical signs.
What are the symptoms of EIC?
Dr. Taylor: Dogs with EIC are normal at rest and are usually described as being extremely fit, prime athletic specimens of their breed. These dogs can tolerate mild or steady exercise, but five to 20 minutes of strenuous exercise, especially together with a high level of excitement or stress, induces weakness and incoordination and then collapse. Weakness will usually be noted in the hind legs first, causing dogs to drag their hind legs as they run. In some dogs the weakness will progress to involve all four limbs. These dogs may actually collapse and appear unable to move their limbs or raise their head. Dogs are usually mentally normal during their collapse, but a few dogs appear disoriented and may exhibit a loss of balance. Most dogs with EIC return to normal after 10 to 20 minutes of rest, but a few affected dogs have died during episodes of collapse.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:57 PM

Thanks to all you guys forthe responses. After reading the information from the posts and the links, I have drawn a conclusion that he may have some form of EIC. I am having another vet check him this weekend to rule out other possible problems. All this information greatly helps. I never expected this to happen and want to do everything in my power to protect my best friend from serious life threatning problems that can be avoided. I hope to continue working with him in the field on small outings, as he loves to hunt up Quail, Chukar, and Pheasants.I'll reply back after I get him checked by this other vet.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck Hogan....and keep us posted on update's.....Hopefully it's something compleatly different.....and has an easy cure..
Old 06-29-2005, 08:46 AM

Thought I would update everyone on my dogs condition. So far the blood work came back okay. He had an EKG done on Monday morning and something came back on it that is causing a slight abnormality or enlargement on the left side of his heart. They said it could be cardiovascular or his Hyroid that is causing the abnormality. They have to run another EKG, preferably after exercising and possibly x-rays. I can only hope that it is nothing too serious and can be treated. I'll update everyone once I know more.