Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

puppy food

Old 05-29-2005, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: puppy food

im going to be hunting grouse and pheasants... im going to be training him myself so we both will be learning.. but the breeder said anytime i have questions or want some help they would be happy to help me.. and ill be asking a lot of questions on here..
ORIGINAL: Guss

Pa Gobbler what are you going to be hunting, for the most part. I have hunted with an English Pointer and my god are they fast, and strong.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:05 PM

My lab pup just turned 3 months and i feed him PURINA PRO PLAN puppy chow....

-kyle
Old 05-31-2005, 07:40 PM
Spike

Hey, Doc. I attended a seminar lately and a guy talked about the benefits of feeding eggs to dogs, especially puppys. Now I know most dog foods already contain some egg, but would there be a benefit to feed 1 or 2 eggs in addition?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

RemMod,

An occasional COOKED egg now and then is probably pretty good for them. Ther is virtually no protein more digestible than egg white and the yolk is fill of good oils and other nutrients.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:39 PM

There is a food on the market manufactured by Diamond called Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul. It may sound sappy, but I will tell you what, it is a good brand of feed. It has all your Omega 3/6, as well as chicken and turkey as primary ingredients. It claims to have fish, rice, veggies, etc as well. It ain't cheap[:@], but the reason I like it over the Diamond Puppy is that the Diamond Puppy gave my pup the runs. This food is made by Diamond, though, but didn't cause the runs. I trust it becuase it's made by Diamond. Now here is a question for you all... My "pup" is now just over a year old (March 16), and I don't want to spend the money on the Chicken Soup anymore becuase I'm just out of college and trying to scrimp a little. The regular adult premium Diamond still gives my dog the runs, and the food that seems to not give him the runs is Pedigree large breed, which in my opinion is not a sufficient food for a hunting dog. Great housedog food, but it lacks fat, and in my opinion, protien (I prefer at least 26/18, but the dog don't know one from the other). What do you think of mixing the Pedigree with the Diamond maybe 60%/40%? This is what I've been doing for about a week now, and no runny mess or noticeable discomfort to the dog. I haven't been running him any, but I assume he could get enough of the "maintainance" nutrition from this mixture and perhaps run some this summer, and when fall comes around I could switch to Diamond high energy (24/20), which I know doesn't make him sick. This is a cheap food, too, but I felt my pup was burning too much energy on it to be using it as my off season maintainance feed. Talk about a high energy feed! Good discussions, fellas. -MIKE
Old 06-01-2005, 04:22 AM

Guss was correct also! Good Food runs around $1.00 per pound. I use Natural Choice they have blends for different needs.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:29 PM

I've been feeding my lab pup the Nature's Choice large breed puppy food since shortly after I got her. We looked at the ingredients on every brand of puppy food in PetSmart until we found the one that didn't list corn or rice as the first ingredient. She doesn't seem to eat as much of it as she did the Purina and her coat is awesome.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:24 PM

Has anybody heard of the food brand called Canidale? Any thoughts on this kind of food?
Old 06-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

My setter gets Pro Plan puppy food. The vet said it's a well balanced product. Her stools are always nice and hard.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bknewman

Has anybody heard of the food brand called Canidale? Any thoughts on this kind of food?
Canidea is a very good dog food. Like Doc E said COOKED eggs are fine for a dog.

Quick Reply: puppy food

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.