Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

[Deleted]

Old 09-19-2002, 07:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-19-2002, 07:32 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-19-2002, 09:42 PM

Default RE: What is the best hunting dog for hunting deer?

ive been running deer with dogs for about 31 years. very rarely will you find a dog that will run deer and rabbits. beagles will do both, but they will jump a deer when your hunting rabbits and jump rabbits when your hunting deer. to answer your question on deer dogs i would have to say walker hounds are the best. ive used just about all the hunting breeds and walkers are #1. black and tans are #2. thats the only two i would use. they are good if you mix breed them also. if you mix breed them you get a good nosed trail dog thats fast. the black and tan has the nose and the walker has the speed. good luck finding a pack of dogs. you cant go wrong with this breed of dogs.

dog hunting is about to be out in georgia. i hope that it stays in your state. to many people are against it here. i just sold all 17 of my dogs because we lost our lease this year. its fun but expensive. good luck again, and i would love to go dog running with ya sometime!

tracey moore
Old 09-20-2002, 06:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-21-2002, 02:10 PM

Beagles all the way,they are small,easy to handle,don't eat so much,don't run out of the country.a deer will not run away from a smaller dog as fast as with bigger dogs.
A deer will just bounce along ahead of a beagle,he will fly low ahead of bigger dogs.

Thus you can take more deer with the slower dogs!!! just my 2 cents,there are 98 more.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 09-28-2002, 02:12 PM

I would also go with a beagle or beagle/walker cross. I train my pups on rabbits in a 5 acre pen and they have no problems going to deer. We also have a 300 acre fox pen that will be ready soon for running. I use to run walkers on fox in the summer there and deer in the winter in the lease.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:30 AM

OK,

I would like to add to this question. I raise walkers because I love to run deer and second I run in the fox pens during the off season.

I hunt in Arkansas where the club members say that the walkers push the game too fast. My opinion is it depends on the way you set up. But, everyone is switching to beagles in that particular club due to them being good hunters but being slower than Walkers.

I like a bigger hound, if I would go to a different hound for hunting deer, which hound do you feel would hunt deer as well as the walker but be a little slower.

What is your choice : Bluetick, Red Bone, Catahoula....
Old 10-12-2002, 06:29 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-14-2002, 10:27 AM

I guess you are calling the Bluetick a Blu Dog...LOL

Anyway, as far as running a deer in the basin...nothing beats a Walker but for Ark. where everyone is scared to lose a dog....they are wanting to go to a slower dog....anyway thanks for your input.