Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

How can........

Old 05-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default How can........

Okay this is actually two stories in one.

Yesterday I went out with my bow at a canal (i nicked name it the O' canal). Its actually not nearby but about 15 miles from my house and way out of city limits. Anyway I went out there around 6ish because its farmland and i don't want get in the workers' way or have my car block their paths with the huge tractors they use (the roads are very small out there). I been going out to this place for awhile and there are a bunch of squrriels, jackrabbits and cottontails out there (waiting for cottontail season to start so i can actually take a shot at a C-tail). Anyway i was driving around a bit and there is little pond deal where a few rabbits/squirrels like to hang out. I parked about 100 yards so i could sneak in on foot. As i was approaching the area, next thing i know i hear barking. There is a house near by but the dogs out there didn't belong to those people. One dog was really skitish so it wouldn't let me get close. The other one was sitting underneath some sort of pump trailer. I actually could approach it but I noticed it was bleeding from the neck. I don't know what happened or if the dog was little bitter towards humans so i was little relentuct to try to pet it. Both dogs didn't have a collar so i'm guessing both were abandoned. I'm not sure how long they were out there but its been unusually hot around here for this time of year. I just brought along a 2-gallon milk carton full of water. I poured some in cup for myself, and cut the carton in half so the dogs could drink it. I called the animal shelter today to let them know about the dogs. They said they were going to send someone out there and would contact me back; I still haven't heard anything but i'm going to give them a call soon. I'm actually going to go out there again today.

Okay the second part of this story was equally sad. As i was leaving to get back on the freeway I noticed a few jackrabbits in a a field but not a field that had any sort of crop. I stopped and did started a stalk towards the rabbits but they end up running off into the field (it was just high grass with some thick brush). I figured it wouldn't hurt to try in hopes I could catch one in the open long enough to take a shot. As i was walking in it i smell the stench of decay and knew something wasn't right. I looked around for a few minutes and i found what it was. There was another dog that doesn't look like it was out there for very long, maybe just a few days. I won't go into detail but judging by the injuries, it look like it was struck by a car but surived the impact and was able to get into the field which was about 300 yards away from the freeway. I noticed it had a collar. I was able to take the collar off in hopes i could contact the owner(s) to let them know in case they have been looking for it. Sad to say it didn't have any sort of ID so i couldn't. I just put the collar next to the dogs head. When I called the animal shelter today i told them about that dog as well. They said ''They would do their best to locate that dog as well." I gave them a pretty accurate location so i do hope they get that dog as well.

The point of this is, although i'm used to the idea that people are lame and would abandon animals for no good apparent reason, i just don't understand why its so hard for him/her to go to a place where the it would at least have a chance to be adopted by someone else
Old 05-12-2005, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How can........

I called the aminal shelter and they ''forgot'' about the dogs out there. I'm going to head out there in a bit. Sad to say I can't do anymore for the dead dog. But i'm ging to bringalong some bowls of water and some scraps of food. I'd take the dogs in if i could but pets aren't allowed out here
Old 05-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The more people I meet, the better I like dogs.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know what you mean doc lol.

I went out there yesterday and brought along some water and some scrapes of food. I couldn't find the dogs so I'm hoping someone took them home. If they moved somewhere else I never saw them.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doc E

The more people I meet, the better I like dogs.
Amen..........
Old 05-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well today will be another reason you won't like humans too much anymore doc and hntma.

I went out there today to go shoot my bow and i noticed one of the dogs laying down close to where I originally saw them. It was the one that was bleeding from the neck. It was dead and looked like it might have about a week ago but with the weather being 100 lately, its hard to say