Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Low country SC.

Old 04-24-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Low country SC.

Anyone of you south carolina hunters tell me when the rut is the low country , around st. george. I've won a sweepstakes trophy deer and hog hunt to one of your plantations, looks like it will be in late september. this sounds a little early?
Old 04-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Low country SC.

I've hunted deer around the Hemingway, SC area. From what I can tell, peak breeding won't occur until mid-late Nov. General rutting behavior (chasing, seeking) can be seen from the last week of Oct. into Nov. You would be best advised to hunt over prefered food sources as well as trails leading to and from these areas at the time of the year that you will be hunting. Be prepared for heat, rain, and mosquitos. I can tell you from personal experiance that the ThermaCell is worth it's weight in gold. I took this buck there on Oct. 28, 2003. He walked across a plantation road while sniff checking a bait pile for does. This area has very good potential to produce very good bucks.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

ive hunted around St George for years . iwas stationed in Charleston and Beaufort a couple times.The Rut Varies in the area from last week of OCT to 3Rd week of November depending on temperature and barometer reading.I can tell you that there are some nice Bucks in that area . i dropped a nice 11 pt wich scored 165 bc on private land there .I would suggest hunting over feed plots and use tinks with a drag rag
Old 05-09-2005, 06:36 AM

I've hunted the Tibwin land and took the buck in my sig on it. It was the 1st week of november last season and it was the peek of the rut. I'm almost posotive that the Tibwin land is a few miles down the road of st. george.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:05 AM

Best bet is to hunt food plots or cornpiles, whatever they have. Rut don't usually get good, like others have stated til mid to late Oct or early Nov. I did kill a nice one last year around the end of Sept who was starting to show signs of early rut, but he was ahead of the dogs too, so I'm not sure if I'd have been able to call or "scent" him in yet.