Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Crossbows in Ky!!??

Old 03-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Crossbows in Ky!!??

rebel, I appreciate your being a little more civil, but I think you're missing the point here. I'm not really worried about the number of deer being killed, its the numbers of NEW hunters that will be taking anything thats brown and not going with the management deal I, and others, have tried to instill there. With this new ordinance, they have the same right as I do to be there, but, the "usual" hunters there and I have done our best to practice deer management by taking only mature does(without young) and bucks with inferior genes. I hope you can see where I'm coming from. BTW, thanks for the "numbers".lol J/K
Old 03-13-2005, 12:15 AM

TC Fan,
(Regarding "anything that is brown") That would suck if it turns out that way. Got an idea. This is just for curiousity's sake. As the season goes on or after the season lets compare notes about how much more crossbowing we saw. Sure, we could look at the statewide totals, but I would be curious to see how it turns out in each of our hunting domains. Plus you are more apt to run into a wider variety of people, I'm guessing, since you hunt public land and I really would like to see how it all pans out. For everyone's sake, I hope you're not right.

Ready for turkey season? April 15th is just around the corner!
Old 03-14-2005, 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Darryl Longbow

I dont think anybody is questioning the numbers, it probably will not make that big an impact. Hunt with a crossbow if you want in gun season, nobody will care. When it comes to bow season that will be different. The X bow is cocked like a gun, has a safety like a gun, has a sight like a gun, has a stock like a gun, has a trigger like a gun, see where we are going here. There is a device on the market that converts a 22 rifle to fire an arrow, is it a bow. The first gun was made to fire an arrow, was it a bow ? For the handicapped or infirm shoot what you want but not in bow season. If the X bow is difficult to become proficient with or not the preception is there that it is easier, will this tend to draw people who are interested in bowhunting or people who see it as just another way to get into the woods early. What is the quality of the hunter we will "gain" What will be the publics perception of the X bow. Will archery as a sport gain or just those who manufacture X bows. Some where the line will have to be drawn as to equipment. Who will say enough ? What is next, do we bring on the arrow shooting rifle and call it bow hunting.
Guy buys camo like a hunter,stand like a hunter,scents like a hunter,has some stickers on his truck like a hunter does this make him a hunter? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come on the arguement about "quality " of the hunter is lame! if we were to do that maybe we should screen folks that hunt to find out if they are quality enough no matter what season it is!what difference does it makes what they carry ?
The line to be drawn in reference to equipment should be what works best . maost humane and makes the quickest cleanest kill. not whether it is cocked and a trigger is pulled.

Honestly i believe advances in equipment whether bow,crossbow or firearms are great for the animals we hunt. it helps to makes sure they taken quickly and with little suffering.

Now if you are out there in your "bow only" season and joe x walks up and he is hunting tree rats or rabbits do you get mad cause he is enfringing on "your " time?
I mean most states small game seasons start before archery!
And small game seasons have been around longer than bow seasons right?
Folks can get out in the woods if they want .
I like the option of using a crossbow or my bow during the archery season in arkansas.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: T/C fan!

rebel, I appreciate your being a little more civil, but I think you're missing the point here. I'm not really worried about the number of deer being killed, its the numbers of NEW hunters that will be taking anything thats brown and not going with the management deal I, and others, have tried to instill there. With this new ordinance, they have the same right as I do to be there, but, the "usual" hunters there and I have done our best to practice deer management by taking only mature does(without young) and bucks with inferior genes. I hope you can see where I'm coming from. BTW, thanks for the "numbers".lol J/K
T/C management on public lands is really futile. it is more for your personal satisfaction than the herd. meaning the next week when the modern gun season starts that deer you let walk has a strong chance of being deer burger.
I see where you coming from but on public lands it's difficult.
Even in my situation with 2100 acres of private land it's hard. i have a few that just want a deer . honestly thier days are numbered with me. i am implementing a very tough plan next year and have already heard some thoughts.
But as i told them i don't care about their opinions!
Some want to stay with the arkansas rules ,3 pts on one side is legal,and see no reason to make the bar higher.some won't shoot a doe .
they will next year or pay a fine or get booted.
they will shoot only mature bucks meaning he better not be a scrawny 6pt 1 1/2 year old or a 8 pt 1 1/2.
I can't understand how folks can call themselves hunters and not be able to look at a buck and tell if he is mature or not.
well probably cause they haven't seen enough or shoot the first thing with antlers not allowing time to see grandpa.

T/C the crossbow is not going to worsen this it's here.

Hey listen why don't you try one. my friend who is bowtech dealer and many other bows is also a horton crossbow dealer/factory rep.
he has turned many people onto crossbows. he hunts with both.
Now this guy is so far from a slob .

Oh and have you priced a crossbow?? not every poor joe can afford one just as good bows are not for the light walleted.
He showed me the demo horton sent him this year it was like $500 bucks!
High price for a poor man.
oh and to be fair his bowtech patriot i beleive was about $1200 the way it was rigged out.
yeah a price diff i guess but still both high for the average person.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:49 PM

Ready for turkey season? April 15th is just around the corner!
Gobblin in lower arkansas in early morning light!

Oh what a rush to hear in the early morning light!

I heard about 4 sunday morning and it was tough not to be able to play the game!
April 9th!
(well the youth hunt is the weekend before so i get to call for my son!)
Old 03-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah bipnelly, I kind of looking forward to seeing how many "new" hunters are in the woods. Then again, maybe not.lol But as for the 15th of April? I'm chomping at the bit!!!! I guess I've caught a bad case of cabin fever. I've had my gear ready for well over a month, been shooting the bow every chance the weather permits, shotgun is patterened and have been driving my wife and little girl NUTS with the calls.hehe I guess not everyone appreciates a high-volume slate indoors.lol Anyway, good luck to you and all that'll be chasing ole Mr. Longbeard. Take care and be safe out there.

Carter
Old 03-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

It really didn't matter to me just getting more people into the sport of hunting. And archery even tho it is a crossbow. It is still shooting an arrow!!!!