Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Florida Green Swamp Post Here

Old 03-22-2005, 06:00 PM

Default RE: Florida Green Swamp Post Here

Hey Chuck7 have you ever hunted or hiked, etc. in Green Swamp West?

Have a few questions about the area, any insite would be helpful. Taking my father of 67 yrs old and can't find out if you can drive inside like green swamp east.

Just asking. Not looking of the honey holes.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Dominant Buck

No sir sorry. I'm going to the other one tomorrow morning. My first time ever going turkey hunting. I've got 2 decent spots. Don't you have to have a special quota to hunt turkey in the west unit? If not ,I wouldn't mind joining you sometime. I plan to put in for the West Unit in June. I'm a little concerned about the snakes tomorrow. Keep in touch. We may end up hunting together one of these days. I generally hunt by myself.
Chuck

Please let me know when you find out. I do believe you can drive in their. Have you pulled up the brochure yet off the net? Also on that page there is a very helpful phone number. The man is very helpful.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:36 PM

I got the phamplet off the internet and called the number. I was told that due to the hunting season "they" are no longer in control of the "Zone" and had to call the WFC for any and all questions reguarding hunting and or anything else during this time of year. [:@] So I'll keep trying.

Did find out that there are (3) entrances to the site/area unlike shown on the map provided. One is just north of the river, (which by the way is just south of the west entrance to green swamp east). No camping at this site but was thinking that I could camp at green swamp east's west site and head out to green swamp west in the morning. After looking on the terra server, this area looks like where I would want to hunt in zone c. By going at it this way I could save alot of walking (4) miles to be exact based on the map.

Would be pretty hard to get that far on foot in the morning if only allowed to enter at 5:00 am.

Good luck on your hunt and hope you get a big one like the one on opening day. 21lbs. If you see this while on your hunt and don't get or hear a bird and still have some days to hunt the green swamp, pm me and I'll tell you where I heard and my father saw some birds. I plan, if work allows, to be back up there thursday night to hunt fri, sat, sunday then scout at green swamp west.

Go get a big one.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I was out there on Rock ridge road today when the radio warned me of a tornado and severe storm coming . I turned back . I'll give it another try tomorrow. I believe the number is 850-488-8573 Eddie White in charge of Quota and Special Hunt Quotas

I drive a White Explorer Sport with a bowhunting decal in the back that says Bow hunter. If you see me stop me I'd enjoy meeting you. What's your age. I'm 50 with 3 sons. Only one hunts with me about 3 times a year. He would rather paint ball. I know where the turkeys are I just need the skill to get one. Tomorrow will be my first time unless foul weather. Do you know if it will be open on Friday? I hope you do good on the West Green Swamp. Let me know what it's like. Please feel free to e-mail me at my home address as well. [email protected] I mostly hunt on week days to advoid the crowds. I'm a teacher and the FCAT is over and I have 50 sick days built up .
Old 03-27-2005, 02:41 PM

Chuck, hunted Green Swamp East last few days. Tom's were tough due to the weather but are coming back strong now.

Update on Green Swamp West: Put in for sure next year, you're going to be amazed at what you find.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Dominant Buck

I went last Thusday. Struck out. I went to my bow hunting spot Sat. morning and heard turkeys as soon as I opened the truck door. That's a nice sound.I started down the trail to get set up and was followed in by another turkey hunter. I called in a turkey close or maybe the other guy did but didi not see it. I'm trying again Friday. Powder Grade was full of hunters 30 trucks or more. I was closer to the river.
Chuck
Old 03-29-2005, 01:52 PM

If you get a chance to get back out there this year here's a spot for you.

It's in the block between 3 run road and powder grade. Hit the tera server and look for the hidden road.

Saw the biggest hen I've ever seen in there. I looked long and hard at that one. I can't get back up there this year due to work. Didn't even get to go to GS west to boot.[:@]

Good luck on the rest of your season. For me, it will be down south WMA's then hopefully up to GA and AL.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Friend,
I drove by there Sat. Over 30 trucks in that area. I've only got 2 wheel drive and the road is a little scary.E-mail me and I 'll share a good place with you. As soon as I opened the door ,I heard them purring.I kid you not they were within 20 yards. Only one other hunter. But that was one too many. I'm going there Friday morning. How are the roads in the West unit.? What is the terrain like? Did you see any game?or signs? I'm buying a Primo Freak off of Ebay. I know you have to put in before June 10th for the quotas. Do you know when and how to apply in the fall?
Thanks and please keep in touch
Chuck
Old 03-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

My next vehicle will be 4 wheel drive. That's a fact.

LOLChuck
Old 03-30-2005, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

How are the roads in the West unit.? What is the terrain like? Did you see any game?or signs? I'm buying a Primo Freak off of Ebay. I know you have to put in before June 10th for the quotas. Do you know when and how to apply in the fall?

Chuck, I didn't get to go but my father of 67 and his 2 wheel drive van did. He could drive all over the place, "zone c" with no problems at all. From then on one had to walk the fire breaks just like at GS east. The terrain is way, way better, and only 8 hunters are allowed during each special permit hunt in your zone. Bottom line, no pressure due to, too many hunters. My father told me that he saw people at the gate but didn't anyone once he was let in. And that not all the people who had permits even showed up. If I knew in time that you wanted and could go I would have sent you my permit. Hated to see it go to wast.[:@][:@][:@][:@]

As far as seeing birds, It will knock your socks off whats awaiting you. We have to apply down here for that area in Septmeber the calendar year prior. We pick up the forms at the clerk of the county courts office. Then mail in with your check for $100.00 dollars.

I can sure enough gar-in-tee you that all of us will be doing so for next year. Were a likeable bunch of family and friend. Father, son, and FP&L Bob. Ages from 67 to 40.

We hunt on the cheap but have a great time. For us, it's all about having a good time in the great outdoors and spending time with friends doing something we love, turkey hunting.

I've only got about 2 weeks left to my southern section spring turkey season. Which means due to work, it's down to just 2 weekends. Man oh man the pressure is on me now.

While writting this, my son just asked me if I would take him out this weekend. Told him, "sure". Would love to see him get one. Even if I loose my streak.

Quick Reply: Florida Green Swamp Post Here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.